Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

The 215g Caribbean Inspired Shadowbox Reef -Year 1

Posted 12/25/2011 at 07:39 PM by euromomtx

My 125 gallon tank with an odd assortment of corals gave me a lot of grief and not much joy. My main nemesis was caulerpa racemosa in the main tank. You could never get the roots completely out of the rocks and eventually I gave up. I decided to start over and start over big!
I ordered a 215 gallon aquarium through Gabe's In San Antonio and DSA made my dream tank for me.
While I waited (and it did seem to take forever) I made plans about what to do with it.
Because honestly...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 66951 Comments 1 Go to first new comment euromomtx is offline Edit Tags
Unread

My Reidi Seahorse System

Posted 12/25/2011 at 08:07 PM by euromomtx

Last Christmas I gave you my heart... actually I am lying now. Somebody gave me seahorses last Christmas and I gave them 150 bucks.
I did fall in love with seahorses at that time though!
The seahorses arrived with a 29 gallon hexagon tank that quickly sprung a leak!
This was of course a great reason to upgrade to a better/bigger tank.
Texas Tropical in San Antonio ordered a custom made Marineland 60 gallon cube for me. I wanted a corner overflow rather than the standard...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 163963 Comments 8 Go to first new comment euromomtx is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Building Debt With a Basement

Posted 12/27/2011 at 05:40 PM by speedpacer
Updated 05/13/2012 at 12:14 PM by speedpacer

Anyone who's been in this hobby for a while knows that a basement set-up is the way to go if you have one, and up until just recently, I was among the many who wished they had one.

Well, thanks to the combination of a marriage and a recent non-traveling job offer that landed me here in the Rocket City, I now have one! Plus, I have enough time and a little extra money to invest in such a set-up and finally have that big beautiful SPS dominant coral reef tank in my living room that...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 63097 Comments 9 Go to first new comment speedpacer is offline Edit Tags
Unread
Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

A Few New Toys

Posted 01/23/2012 at 08:38 PM by Aaarrrggg (Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream)

I had to order some meds for the dogs from Dr Fosters and Smith, so I used the free shipping as an excuse to grab an [URL="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23735"]Azoo Micro Temp Controller[/URL].

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/TheAaarrrggg/temp-control-box.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/TheAaarrrggg/temp-control.jpg[/IMG]

I plugged in both of my heaters (it can control up to 3) and placed...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 42428 Comments 2 Go to first new comment Aaarrrggg is offline Edit Tags
Unread
Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Algae Scrubber Basics 10 of 14

Posted 02/19/2012 at 09:35 AM by Floyd R Turbo

[b]LEDs – Why they are different[/b]

LEDs are a completely different source of light. Fluorescent, metal halide, HPS, and other HID lighting are all mercury based, and the light is shifted from the ultraviolet range into the visible range with phosphors. LEDs emit certain colors of light depending on the compounds used in the diode itself, so it is initially visible light; phosphors are then sometimes used to shift wavelength to achieve various colors.

LEDs, very...
Either busy or sleeping
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 33984 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Floyd R Turbo is offline Edit Tags