Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread
Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Algae Scrubber Basics 11 of 14

Posted 02/19/2012 at 09:35 AM by Floyd R Turbo

[IMG]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/FloydRTurbo/2011%20Aquarium%20Pics/Miscellaneous/ATS%20Designs/AS_MorganAtlantaLED-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/FloydRTurbo/2011%20Aquarium%20Pics/Miscellaneous/ATS%20Designs/AS_MorganAtlantaLED-2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/FloydRTurbo/2011%20Aquarium%20Pics/Miscellaneous/ATS%20Designs/AS_MorganAtlantaLED-3.jpg[/IMG]

Again, patch growth, but only green....
Either busy or sleeping
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 32363 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Floyd R Turbo is offline Edit Tags
Unread
Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Algae Scrubber Basics 12 of 14

Posted 02/19/2012 at 09:36 AM by Floyd R Turbo

[b]Electrical Protection[/b]

This should really go without saying, but you should always plug your lights into Ground-Fault protected receptacles (GFCI).

Always use waterproof sockets for your CFLs and end caps for your T5HO lamps. This is a little more expensive, but is necessary to avoid corrosion and electrocution. Generally, waterproof CFL sockets do a pretty good job of sealing the base and socket from moisture, but they still should be silicone sealed for an...
Either busy or sleeping
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 37522 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Floyd R Turbo is offline Edit Tags
Unread
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Algae Scrubber Basics 13 of 14

Posted 02/19/2012 at 09:37 AM by Floyd R Turbo

[b]Slot pipe clog prevention[/b]

This issue is brought up on a pretty regular basis. Obviously, no one wants an overflow pipe to clog and overflow their tank. Most people take precautions to prevent livestock from entering the overflow pipe, such as an intake screen. In the case of the scrubber, they’re worried about the algae growing thick enough to stop flow at the point where the screen and pipe slot meet.

Almost without exception, this question is posed by someone...
Either busy or sleeping
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 33073 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Floyd R Turbo is offline Edit Tags
Unread
Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Jumpin' Jawfish Batman!

Posted 03/01/2012 at 06:54 PM by Aaarrrggg (Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream)

Well it seems I might have spoken too soon about my "happy" Jawfish. A few hours after posting last, I heard a loud "plop" come from the tank. I went over to find Kululu sitting on the sand looking agitated after presumably jumping out and bumping his head on the plastic edging at the top of the tank. Well at least my jawfish defenses seem good enough to prevent carpet surfing!

The next day he was nowhere to be found in the tank. Growing increasingly panicked,...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 49491 Comments 4 Go to first new comment Aaarrrggg is offline Edit Tags
Unread
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Understanding damsels: chromis, clowns, and others

Posted 04/14/2012 at 06:12 PM by Sk8r

Understanding damsels, chromis, clowns...
These are the professional 'little guys' of the reef.
They require much more space than people realize: 100 gallons is good...for most.
They're also good 'dither fish,' who reassure other fish the coast is clear.

You can see dozens of them about a reef. Let a predator swim by and---boink!---if you blinked you missed it. They've all vanished.

WHere? Each fish individually has a tiny hole somewhere in the...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 26989 Comments 3 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags