Reef Central Online Community
Champion Lighting

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > ReefRockerLive
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

67g Rimless build

Posted 04/17/2011 at 10:18 PM by ReefRockerLive

So after much thought I have settled with a 36" x 24" x 18" 3-sided Starfire Rimless with an external coast to coast overflow w/ BeanAnimal overflows.

For this build I will be using some equipment from my old 75g which has been down for almost 2 years now.

If there is a theme around this whole project, it would be "Silence". I've owned two tanks throughout my Reefing hobby, a 55g and 75g and floods have been all too common. With this new build, I hope to make that a thing of the past. I plan to only have the quietest equipment my money will allow. The BeanAnimal overflow is suppose to be super silent, so that is how I will design the overflow.

My drains will be 1" and two returns, 3/4". I will use spa-flex for the return and hard-pipe for the drain.

Here's what I have so far in terms of equipment:

Maxspect G2-170w
Fauna Marin UltraSkim 2
Tunze 6105
Profilux 3 EX
GHL Dosing Pumps

I am going to build my stand soon and design it with a simplistic yet modern look, Elos style. Within the stand, I will have it sectioned off. The right side will hold the sump and left will have all the equipment such as LED ballasts and powerstrips. Above the sump I plan on building a shelf that will hold the Profilux and dosing pumps. The controller will be on the Right and dosing pumps will be on the left. Under the dosing pumps, I will have 1g space-saving containers which will hold my Ca, Alk, and Mg.

In my last tank, I've had salt creep on equipment and luckily it wasn't enough to damage any equipment. I want to keep it as clean looking as possible.

I've decided to not hang my fixture from the wall and have built a light rail using 80/20 products I found off of Ebay.

For anyone looking to build an affordable light rail under $100, here are the products I purchased:

T-Slot Aluminum Frame (1501-LS)
[B]Four[/B] 80/20 T-Slot Endcaps w/push-in plug (2030)
[B]Two[/B]T Slot Aluminum Corner Connector (3364)

For flow, my plan is to have an Ehiem 1262 return and when I financially recover from all these expenses, buy a second Tunze 6105.

According to Miracles, the build time is 6 weeks and I am already 3 weeks in. I am expecting the arrival date to fall within the second week of May! I should also mention that I've also placed an order for a 24" x 16" x 16" sump, also being built by Miracles.

Here's a sketch of what I am going to have:

[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/ReefRockerLive/TopSumpView.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/ReefRockerLive/FrontSumpView.jpg[/IMG]

When I have the tank running which should be by the 3rd or 4th week of May, I plan on using Seaflor Aragonite Sand. In order to speed up the cycling time, I plan on buying this sand soon and having a friend add his tank water to it to seed it.

BTW, this tank will be Acropora dominant.

More to come in a few days...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4522 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments