Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hardware components of my two primary tanks and some of the fish I keep
Unread

Do LEDs really last 10,000+ hours?

Posted 04/13/2011 at 05:40 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:41 PM by snorvich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hahn View Post
There is some accurate and some pretty iffy LED info in this thread. Since I sometimes work with high powered LED technology in my industry (displays, not aquariums), I'd like to clarify a few points.

1. When the LED mfrs state a lifetime of 50,000 hours or so, that is a theoretical lifetime based on the known physics of LEDs. It is not a tested lifetime. Since it would take about 6 years to run that test, no one including the LED manufacturer has typically run one that long before
Team RC member
Views 11617 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Additional Disease Treatment Information

Posted 03/16/2011 at 11:07 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 05/19/2011 at 02:17 PM by snorvich

When I was doing research on treatments, I found that Quinine products were the first medications used in many tropical fish ailments -- especially marine fishes. What happened in the USA is that the real good ones became only available by prescription. This is not something most hobbyists could get their hands on.

Now, some off the shelf medications do contain some quinine ingredients in low quantities.

Chloroquine diphosphate was the choice medication for treating...
Team RC member
Views 12136 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread
Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quarantine (my opinion)

Posted 03/09/2011 at 09:40 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 09:39 AM by snorvich

Q: Should I quarantine all fish?

A: Yes. Four weeks is a good window for observation of disease and parasites. All newly acquired fish will benefit from 4 weeks of time by themselves in the quarantine tank to recover from shipping/handling stress and to acclimate to your feeding regime.

Q: What about corals, inverts, algae, and live rock?

A: Whle I feel that the risk is very low unless they are coming from an infected tank, you can set up a separate QT...
Team RC member
Views 23566 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

cryptocaryon irritans (ich) part II

Posted 02/28/2011 at 04:02 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 05/19/2011 at 02:18 PM by snorvich

Subjective and Non-Subjective Observations, Claims, and Common Myths:

1. Some Tangs seem more susceptible. This is true. Their mucous coatings are reduced in thickness and composition. They swim up to 25 miles a day in the ocean in search for food so maybe Mother Nature provided them with this as a means of 'escape.'

2. It goes away on its own. Definite NOT true. It is only visible at one stage IF it is on the body or fin of the fish. If it was once seen, then it hasn't...
Team RC member
Views 62048 Comments 1 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Amyloodinium ocellatum (Marine Velvet)

Posted 12/18/2010 at 10:42 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/03/2014 at 10:11 AM by snorvich

What is Oodinium?

Velvet or Coral Fish Disease is caused from an infestation of the dinoflagellate Amyloodinium ocellatum. The life cycle of Velvet is very similar to the life cycle of marine ich. This organism is parasitic on fish at one stage in its life cycle; during that stage it is visible to the naked eye. The total life cycle for this parasite approximates 3 weeks; but for total safety after a tank is infected two life cycles should be waited (six weeks). The lifecycle is very...
Team RC member
Views 21953 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags