Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > MrSandman
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Uncategorized Entries with no category
Unread

Got new lights!!

Posted 04/03/2011 at 12:56 PM by MrSandman

After a long debate and serious hesitation I finally decided to retire my tried and true double ended metal halides (Phoenix 14K's powered by a PFO 250W HQI ballast) and VHO actinics (icecap 660 ballast) in exchange for an ATi setup. My old setup was just proven and provided great growth and coloration over a few years now with zero problems. The reasons for the swap were because:
  • I needed new bulbs
  • I wanted to reduce my electric bill to below $200 a month
  • I wanted to keep the house cooler
Team RC Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 17374 Comments 0 Go to first new comment MrSandman is offline Edit Tags
Unread

I'm off for 5 weeks.................... ...

Posted 12/30/2009 at 01:08 PM by MrSandman

Well, i'm off for 5 weeks on a business trip to Asia (Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Hong Kong and China) and catching the red-eye tonight. The tank will be in the hands of my wife during this time.

The last time i took a business trip (about 3 weeks ago) it was for only 2 days and all hell broke loose. The top-off reservoir ran low on water which resulted in the return pump running dry for about 12 hours and one of the GFCI's tripped when she hit feed mode on the AC3. Thankfully...
Team RC Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 17374 Comments 0 Go to first new comment MrSandman is offline Edit Tags
Unread

I'm gonna be a daddy.

Posted 10/20/2009 at 10:08 PM by MrSandman

Well....sort of. My clowns decided to spawn today for the 1st time since i got them about 18 months ago. I had a feeling they were up to something as they had spent the last week or so, cleaning, rubbing, biting the area where the eggs were finally laid. Although i don't plan on raising the fry, its still nice to see. Looking forward to many more spawns in the future.
Team RC Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 26216 Comments 2 Go to first new comment MrSandman is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Top-off float switch got stuck last night......

Posted 10/10/2009 at 10:48 PM by MrSandman

But i was lucky....i have an Aquacontroller 3 that kept things from getting out of control. Like most people i also like topping off my tank with kalkwasser saturated water. My AC3 will top-off with kalkwasser or freshwater based on the tanks pH. If pH goes over 8.15, 2 solenoids activate. 1 solenoid activates to shut off the kalkwasser supply, and the other solenoid activates to open a bypass which allows freshwater to top-off the tank instead. Once pH drops back down below 8.15, it reverses...
Team RC Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 19288 Comments 0 Go to first new comment MrSandman is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Cleaned skimmer and sump today

Posted 10/09/2009 at 06:36 PM by MrSandman

Soaked the skimmer today in some muriatic acid and water (mixed at a 10:1 ratio) for a couple hours while the pump was running. First time i did it since i setup the tank. Amazing how much crud collects in only 18 months time. While the skimmer was out i also vacuumed the sump.

Plugged everything back in a couple hours ago and the skimmer has pulled out some pretty nasty crud since then. Now i'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
Team RC Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 16151 Comments 0 Go to first new comment MrSandman is offline Edit Tags