Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Follow my Oceanic 144g half circle reef tanks progress.
  1. New Comment

Introducing "The Beast!"

I have a Photon Clownfish and she is beautiful. I hope you get yours!
  2. New Comment

Jumpin' Jawfish Batman!

How is the tank getting on?! really interested to see how is developing! love the blogg!!!
  3. New Comment
  4. New Comment

Dr Tim's One and Only

I detail it in later blog entries... but in essence; the first cycle took 12 days; which I thought was pretty good considering pretty much all of my rock was dry/dead.

The instructions on Dr Tim's site then say to keep cycling over and over again until you can get it to go from Amm > Nitrate in 24hrs... Which I could never manage to achieve. I'm not sure if my pH was the problem, or if it was because I had no livestock... but in the end I just gave up and started stocking with no ill effects.
  5. New Comment

Jumpin' Jawfish Batman!

TBH I'm not sure if I'm the best person to ask as I'm totally stuck on what to get next myself!

Live Aquaria's marine fish section is a great place to browse and research new fish purchases (even if you end up buying somewhere else.)

You can't go wrong with a nice pair of clowns! My bangaii cardinals have been fun too, although if you go for some of them make sure you get tank bred ones as the wild ones are endangered.
  6. New Comment

Dr Tim's One and Only

What was the outcome of the cycle?
  7. New Comment

Jumpin' Jawfish Batman!

Very cool pics and an excellent description! I have a new 75 gallon aquarium that has a sand/crushed corral/sand/crushed corral/grunge base with 80+# of live rock in it. I have since added a fluval 404 canister filter as it came free with the aquarium. I will be eventually buying correct lighting and a protien skimmer as soon as financially possible.
    The first thing I added to my tank was 5 green chromies, and a fiddler crab. I have slowly added a sand sifting star, a diamond goby, and 60 turbo snails and 30 red leg hermit crabs.
    I am trying to figure out what kind of fish to go with next... any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will also be adding corral frags as I get correct lighting.
  8. New Comment

Automatic Water Changer: Part 1

No probs! When I was researching water-changers I loved finding threads with photos so I wanted to pass on the favor.

The Genesis water changer looks nice too. I was initially drawn to them, but the distance/path I needed the water to travel made the LiterMeter a better choice for me. Both companies have excellent customer service so you can't go wrong with either. Good luck with your build!
  9. New Comment

A Few New Toys

Thanks! Wish I could claim credit for the shower poufs but I got the idea from a thread in another forum. So far so good. I do very much like not having to worry about chaeto trimming and from what I can tell the pods don't seem to be noticing a difference!
  10. New Comment

Argh! Flood!

Thanks for the info! That was really sweet of you to get your brother-in-law to have a look!

I'll see if I can twist them around and clamp them somehow. I'll be sure to check on them occasionally too. Thanks for the heads up; I totally would have forgotten about them otherwise and I reeeeally don't want another flood. If the pipe from the sink to the RO/DI came loose.... ergh... well it doesn't bare thinking about! <shudder>
  11. New Comment

Automatic Water Changer: Part 1

The system looks awesome! I have been looking at the Genesis for a build I want to start. I will now have to look into the Spectrapure. Thanks for the blog and the photos.
  12. New Comment

A Few New Toys

I have never heard of fake Cheato before. lol. I hope it all goes well for you. The temp controller it pretty cool. I also like the fish feeder.
  13. New Comment

Argh! Flood!

as far as your connections under the sink. the copper is fine, but keep an eye on it every so often, even more as temp changes. even your waste line should be checked once and an while for blockedge(will buiild up back pressure). i showed these pics to my brother inlaw who's a license plumber for 20 years now and likes for set up, but he said you should point the connections toward the back wall a little so you can clamp or fasten the lines to the back wall in some fashion so to decrease the stress on the connection. although its not much , but he said's it will flex over tiime and may cause leacks. exscuse the miss spelling, i have rum in the system. mine, not the tank! lol
  14. New Comment

Automatic Water Changer: Part 6

Thanks guys!

I fixed the wet foundation problem! Here's Bandit inspecting my work...

I'll move the tube about every time I go out there to collect the dogs toys, -Krypto (the Boston Terrier) has a habit of taking all the toys outside and leaving them there to get rained on...
  15. New Comment

Great job. I am using this for my blue print.
  16. New Comment

Looks great! A wonderful write-up and very helpful photos.

If I might make one suggestion, you may want to consider extending your waste water tube a little further away from the house.

Dumping five gallons a day of saltwater right up against your foundation may lead to leaks/concrete damage if you don't have excellent drainage there.