Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > maysorum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

OK, lots of stuff in the works

Posted 03/09/2010 at 10:41 PM by maysorum
Updated 03/09/2010 at 10:55 PM by maysorum

I've decided to add a refugium to my system. There's three main reasons: 1) grow macroalgae for my new Kole Yellow Eye Tang, 2) increase nutrient export, and 3) increase total system volume.

I'm currently designing the refugium and have made a rudimentary sketch using Google SketchUp. It's a pretty cool program, but a little frustrating when you don't know what you're doing! The plan is to pump water from my existing sump into the baffle chamber of the refugium. Then the water exits and flows via gravity back into the sump. I'm hoping it's really that simple. Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement. Oh, I haven't decided whether the refugium will be all glass or acrylic.

There are a few other projects I'm still working on. I haven't mounted the LiterMeter yet, but I've got it all figured out now. Also, I need to get the BRS GFO/GAC reactor running. These projects have kind of been on hold since I have been working on the refugium design. And yes, in the next day or so I will post new pictures, I promise!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refugium_plan.jpg
Views:	1713
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	34   Click image for larger version

Name:	refugium_plan2.jpg
Views:	1693
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	35  
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 18807 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. New Comment
    I've modified my refugium design (with the help Cy @ Barrier Reef, thanks!) to include a 12" x 12" compartment for sand. I think this will greatly reduce the amount of maintenance, as I initially was planning to use sand throughout. I'll post an updated sketch as soon. The final dimensions are 28L x 18W x 16H. I'm excited to get this on line!