Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Follow my Oceanic 144g half circle reef tanks progress.
Rate this Entry

Enough Cycling already! :D

Posted 12/05/2011 at 11:15 AM by Aaarrrggg
Tags cycle

Well as you might have guessed by now, the Amm & Ni weren't 0 the next day.... nor the day after. In fact it ended up taking 3 days. I dutifully added more Ammonium Chloride... and again it took 3 days. Blurgh.

I emailed Dr Tims customer service and they suggested the pH might be too low and to do a WC. I tested the pH and it was at 7.8 ...so I don't think that's the problem. Bah, I've waited over a month and cycled it 5 times, (which is 4 times more than people usually do!) ...I think it's time to say it's ready already!

I did a WC to help with nitrates (40 before change) and picked up 12 black foot trochus snails from the LFS (apparently they're self-righting ones, yay!) I was about to pop them in when I suddenly remembered I still had the temp set to 85F! Oops... that was a close one! Thankfully I have my little nano; so they all spent the night at a more barmy climate while the big tank cooled down.

I was busy most of today so I didn't get to add my little "canary" critters until this evening. I figured I'd add a small selection of CUC from my nano and see how they do. I grabbed 5 trochus snails, 3 nassarius, 1 nerite and 1 red leg hermit (if you follow [URL="http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1972594"]my nano thread[/URL] you'll know him better as Robocop. ) It's been a few hours and so far so good! I love how you can completely uproot a CUC member and they just get straight back to it in their new home.

I have an order coming on Thurs from [URL="http://www.ipsf.com/"]Indo-Pacific Sea Farms[/URL] for a bunch of reef detritivores which I'm unreasonably excited about. I mean, they're probably going to be so tiny that I can't even see what I've ordered, but I still can't wait! One problem with using mostly dry rock is you really do miss finding random critters. With this order I should be able to beef up my smaller CUC members; bristleworms, spaghetti worms and brittle-stars to name a few. I'll post more info about them when I can take some piccies of the delivery.

I'm also working with another local reefer to set up a remote ATO and automatic water-changer. More on that as it develops...!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3534 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments