Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Follow my Oceanic 144g half circle reef tanks progress.
Unread

Enough Cycling already! :D

Posted 12/05/2011 at 12:15 PM by Aaarrrggg (Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream)
Tags cycle

Well as you might have guessed by now, the Amm & Ni weren't 0 the next day.... nor the day after. In fact it ended up taking 3 days. I dutifully added more Ammonium Chloride... and again it took 3 days. Blurgh.

I emailed Dr Tims customer service and they suggested the pH might be too low and to do a WC. I tested the pH and it was at 7.8 ...so I don't think that's the problem. Bah, I've waited over a month and cycled it 5 times, (which is 4 times more than people usually...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8353 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Aaarrrggg is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Cycle #3

Posted 11/25/2011 at 10:11 PM by Aaarrrggg (Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream)

3 more days and it's down to 0 Amm and Ni again. I ended up adding a little more Ammonium Chloride than the time before (40ml total,) so I guess that's why it wasn't quicker this time.

Dosed another 40ml this morning. According to Dr Tims website Amm and Ni should now be able to hit 0 in 24hrs; although with the last cycle taking 3days, I can't really see that happening. We shall see tomorrow...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9613 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Aaarrrggg is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Cycle #2 down...

Posted 11/22/2011 at 02:15 PM by Aaarrrggg (Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream)

Amm and Ni 0 again today! MUCH quicker that time around (3 days!)

Just added 30ml of Ammonium Chloride; lets see what those little bacteria are made of!
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9640 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Aaarrrggg is offline Edit Tags
Unread

First Cycle Complete!

Posted 11/19/2011 at 05:01 PM by Aaarrrggg (Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream)

Well after what seemed like endless days of the Nitrite test turning the water purple on contact, it stayed blue today! Hurrah!
It's possible it was actually 0 yesterday, but it had been stubbornly purple for so long that I gave testing a day off. I guess that means the cycle is technically complete (12 days,) however Dr Tim's site says to add more Ammonium Chloride at this point.

I'm all for having even more bacteria, so I dropped in 10ml of Ammonium Chloride. I'll...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 11563 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Aaarrrggg is offline Edit Tags