Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

"Want the Rest?"

Posted 10/04/2010 at 12:28 AM by superkat (Thoughts While Watching Paint Dry)
Updated 10/04/2010 at 04:12 AM by superkat

I had an epiphany today. It started out badly, as I spent the twelve hours prior to 8am under observation at RGH for PVC's (premature ventricular contractions). With an artificial aortic valve, it's 50/50 on whether the episode turns into a heart attack or not. Luckily, no, honestly, I did a lot of praying, with some meds and fluids, they were able to bring my blood pressure down with a follow up on Thursday with my cardiologist. But that wasn't the ephiphany cultivator. I drove myself to the...
Premium Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 79757 Comments 7 Go to first new comment superkat is offline Edit Tags
Unread
Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quarantine (my opinion)

Posted 03/09/2011 at 09:40 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 09:39 AM by snorvich

Q: Should I quarantine all fish?

A: Yes. Four weeks is a good window for observation of disease and parasites. All newly acquired fish will benefit from 4 weeks of time by themselves in the quarantine tank to recover from shipping/handling stress and to acclimate to your feeding regime.

Q: What about corals, inverts, algae, and live rock?

A: Whle I feel that the risk is very low unless they are coming from an infected tank, you can set up a separate QT...
Team RC member
Views 22770 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread
Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Kalk: how to: why to: how much to

Posted 03/13/2011 at 11:39 AM by Sk8r
Updated 03/13/2011 at 11:53 AM by Sk8r

Why put lime in your ATO?
It's called 'dripping kalk', from the German word for lime. It's appropriate for anyone with clams or stony coral, ie, a tank that sucks up calcium faster than weekly water changes can supply it.

This is why stony coral keeping is a lot easier than people think it is---easy, as in, "very little work"...as in, "actually far less work than keeping a FOWLR."

First you need an ATO [automatic topoff]. Everyone does who...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 24161 Comments 1 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Unread

ProfiLux Remote Access

Posted 05/16/2011 at 04:45 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 05/19/2011 at 02:11 PM by snorvich
Tags profilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Reef View Post
Setting up your Profilux for remote log in isn't "too" complicated, but does require a little familiarity with your router.

First off you need to determine what the IP address of your profilux is. The simplest way to do this is to manually configure your Profilux with a static IP address. In the Profilux Software you do this as follows:

1.) connect to your Profilux using the Profilux Control Software
2.) Click on the "System" section of
Team RC member
Posted in Profilux
Views 25749 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

BigE's 210 gallon reef

Posted 12/21/2011 at 09:13 AM by bigevill1

So here is my first post about my 210 gallon reef tank. I have been thru some major issues with the tank in the last few years from red bugs and AEFW to mysterious deaths of all of my LPS, to two bouts of Oodinium that wiped out all of my fish except for my 9 year old purple tang (he is a beast). I finally have the tank restocked and seemingly problem free, until I noticed recently that some of my SPS (mostly acros) have begun to receed some. Now I need to find out whats going on there. it better...
Big and Evil
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 37346 Comments 3 Go to first new comment bigevill1 is offline Edit Tags