Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > sacremon
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Uncategorized Entries with no category
Unread

Flukes vanquished, experience with an online retailer

Posted 11/17/2010 at 09:23 AM by sacremon

10 days of PraziPro plus 5 days of Kanaplex seem to have done the trick. Everyone's eyes are back to being clear, and everyone is eating.

I'm trying to decide which fish to add next, the Ctenochaetus binotatus or the Pterois radiata. I want to add the volitans after the radiata, because it is the more aggressive eater. Chris has to separate them now in order for the radiata to get something to eat. What I need to do for the radiata is to get off my behind and get the old 30g sump...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 38478 Comments 1 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Return of the flukes

Posted 11/08/2010 at 08:51 AM by sacremon

Chris, the LFS owner, got in the two tangs and two lions that I ordered. They have been quarantined now for about 2-3 weeks. Shortly after he got them in, he also took in trade a larger Naso tang from a customer, where the tang had outgrown his tank. The customer has a 150g, and the tang is about 6 inches [I]not[/I] including the tail. Chris thought it was a male, and since this was a fish that had been in captivity for better than a year, it seemed like the more stable bet. I took that Naso...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 12403 Comments 0 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Stocking plan for rebuild

Posted 09/28/2010 at 08:52 AM by sacremon

So the survivors of the plague that swept through the tank are a zebra moray and a magnificent rabbitfish. The rabbit is back to normal appearance, and has been greedily eating half a sheet of nori a day. The tank also has two 3" spider conchs (Lambis lambis), an urchin that I believe is an Echinometra viridis, some coralimorphs and a couple colonies of Goniopora. Oh, and a whole heaping lot of algae, which looks like my old nemesis, derbesia.

The algae actually isn't all...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10708 Comments 0 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags
Unread

When it rains, it pours: Cyclone edition.

Posted 09/15/2010 at 10:13 AM by sacremon

Desjardini tang died shortly after that last post. I did some research on the net, and felt that there was a fluke infection in the tank in addition to the ick. I got a couple bottles of PraziPro, turned off the skimmer and added them to the tank. About five days later, the rabbitfish started to look better. Now the rabbit is back to full color and normal behavior. There is a little bit of what looks like an abrasion on his left eye, which probably started the infection there, but he has done...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10467 Comments 0 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Life, it is sucking

Posted 08/18/2010 at 12:20 PM by sacremon

Not so happy fish. My LFS owner, Chris, does the QT for my fish, and generally holds on to them for a couple weeks at least. When he brought over the zebra moray and the goatfish, the goatfish had only been there for about a week. I didn't know he had it, he was surprising me with it. I saw the goat scratch a little in the first couple days, but that appeared to go away.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed that one of the eyes on the volitans had gotten cloudy. I called Chris over,...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9813 Comments 0 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags