Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > sacremon
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Radiata, no LFS involved

Posted 01/04/2011 at 09:24 AM by sacremon

Diver's Den had a Pterois radiata for sale, and I snapped it up as soon as it was on the website. It was listed as 2 and 3/4", which is clearly including the entire length of the fish including tail. In any event, I decided to see if I had better luck than my LFS in keeping one alive. In a sense, I could not do worse.

Given that it came from LiveAquaria and it is a lion, I decided to forgo any QT. The radiata (henceforth referred to as 'he' even though there is no way for me to know sex of the fish) immediately found the extensive cave/overhang area that the zebra moray lives in, and settled down in the overhang part of it. The Naso tang came by and kind of nuzzled him for a few minutes. It was very weird. I went out and got some black mollies to use as feeders. Over the next few days, I tried getting the mollies to him (no luck, volitans ate them as soon as he spotted them) and tried the floating basket trick (radiata was too stressed by being stuck in a basket to care about the molly). I then bought a big batch of live marine feeder shrimp online from a business I have dealt with before. I dumped a bunch in the tank and the rest went into a bucket, with added water at their salinity. The volitans gorged himself, but the radiata got some as well. Since then I have gotten him to take live shrimp that I have stuck on the end of some fishing line (it is what I use as a feeding stick, fishing line run through a clear acrylic tube), so that hopefully he will come to associate the stick with food so that I can wean him over to frozen.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 49843 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. New Comment
    Any luck with transferring to frozen foods? I have been able to keep same lion but it was not an easy task to keep it fed. Especially the first days. I did QT and did not introduce until "he" was feeding. I bought these: http://www.seahorse.com/shop/index.p...products_id=19
    The volcanic red shrimp is supposed to be a healthy food but not a staple. Although he was hesitant at first by the time I put him in the display he was working them in the corner and devouring them like they didn't cost $2 each. Never ate frozen food... I eventually sold him to someone who could afford to provide him with non-stop live foods. Good luck to you.
    Posted 02/19/2011 at 11:23 AM by saltjohnswharf saltjohnswharf is offline
  2. New Comment
    Yep, he is eating PE mysis individually stuck on the end of a fishing line, and recently has been eating some slivers of other frozen foods (crayfish, shrimp) stuck on the end of the line. Biggest issue is that he looks at and and considers the food for several seconds before eating it, which gives the most aggressive eater in the tank, the Naso tang, time to try to swoop in a get the food first. I have had to separate the lion off with eggcrate in order to give him enough privacy to eat unmolested.
  3. New Comment
    hi my dear how are you today i hope that you are fine my name is Kate Williams am 23 years old am from Liberia please can we be a good friend's am a good girl with respect i will tell you all about me latter please i will expect your reply very soon please try to reply thanks from yours good friend Kate.here is my email address [email]katewilliams@gala.net...thanks[/email]