Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > bnumair
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Ich and how to get rid of it using copper based medication.

Posted 08/26/2012 at 01:39 PM by bnumair

Here is a direct link to my forum where you can find the information regarding the topic.

[url]http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20614751#post20614751[/url]

From it:
Hi folks, this is an on going battle in the reef world. I strongly recommend everyone that is in this hobby to QT each and every fish they buy, it will save u from a lot of headache in long run. I also strongly suggest a permanent QT if possible for multiple reasons.

In this article I will try to cover the how to rid ich once already in main tank.
There are only 3 known methods of getting rid of ich.

1. Hypo-salinity
2. Copper based meds
3. Tank transfer

This article covers the remedy of ich via copper based medication(cupramine)

First off if you don't have a QT setup, do so and catch all your fish including the once that don't have ich and put them in QT.
if you don't have a QT setup please follow my blog or the stick I posted. here is a direct link to it. There are 2 ways to setup a QT. Please read through and setup one accordingly.

[url]http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2195588[/url]

Once a QT is properly setup now you are ready for medication and turning your QT to a hospital tank.

I always use cupramine so I will explain step by step the process.

I have a 20gal bare bottom no live rock no live sand tank. It is just a simple 20 gal tank with a HOB filter 2 bio wheels with non carbon cartridge, a heater/chiller and a power head.
After catching your fish from main tank and acclimating to hospital tank you can start you medication process. Note: Not all fish can take a copper based medication. please do your research regarding this matter.

Using Cupramine (in a 20gal Hospital Tank):

Day 1: add 10 drops of cupramine per 10gals of water. (in my case 20g tank so 20 drops)
Day 2: add 10 drops of cupramine per 10gal of water (in my case 20g tank so 20 drops)
Day 3 : check with a good/reliable copper test kit for a final result of 0.5mq/l if the
strength of copper is weaker than 0.5mq/l then add more accordingly.
Leave at this strength for 2 weeks and then start doing water changes over the next 1 week to bring copper down to 0. (if tank is a permanent QT)
If tank is an emergency QT then you will need to check ammonia levels everyday and do water changes everyday along with testing for copper and adding more drops of cupramine in order to compensate for water change.
After 2 weeks of full treatment and 1 weeks of water changes bringing copper close to 0 your fish are ready to be put back in the main tank. I personally like to hold them in QT for another 2 weeks to make sure there is no more ich left.

I hope this process with help people trying to remove ich via copper based medication.

Note: this process is described with assumption of using cupramine and a 20 gal tank.
do your research regarding other medications used and follow the manufacturers directions and do your home work for which fish can take a copper treatment.

Thanks
Mike
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 14338 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments