Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Spaced Cowboy
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

A "DI"rty job but someone's got to do it

Posted 09/20/2011 at 02:48 PM by Spaced Cowboy
Updated 09/21/2011 at 11:10 PM by Spaced Cowboy (update from supplier)
Tags build

So, for the last week or so, the RO/DI system has been churning out RO/DI water, I've been mixing it with salt in the mixing tank, and then storing it in the NSW tank. So far, I've got ~70 gallons of pure RO/DI water and 290 gallons of NSW water ready to go. That's a total of ~360 gallons, and my RO/DI meter started to say it was reading 1ppm on the output.

Now this is a dual-stage DI-resin system, so there are two, not one, media chambers full of DI resin. I'm thinking that ~360 gallons of purified water is a little low for this system. The input water pressure is ~70psi, and the PPM readings out of the RO side (before DI) are ~20ppm, which seems to be a bit high compared to what others are seeing. I'll be contacting BRS to see if there's anything they can do...

Hopefully BRS will come up with a reason why it's not working as well as it ought to, and I won't be changing resin every couple of months...In any event, I've changed the resin - now that it's registering 1ppm it's done, as far as I'm concerned. You can see the difference between the before/after below...

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.0x0000ff.com/imgs/fishtank/di-beforechange.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.0x0000ff.com/imgs/fishtank/di-afterchange.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Note: I do like the refillable canisters that BRS use. It took about 10 minutes to change out both canisters this lunchtime and fill with new resin.

[B][U]update: 21st September[/U][/B]

So BRS got back to me in their usual efficient fashion, and it seems it may just be my water. As and when I can get the water tests done, I'll follow up, but apparently I was expecting a little too much from the dual-DI canister setup that I have. Oh well. It means that I might be buying resin more often than most folks, but it might also explain why the water-purifier filter in the fridge does such a good job on the tap-water around here. Yay! San Jose!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3529 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »