Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > 55 Gal Uniquarium Build
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Documentation of my first new aquarium build. Upgrading to a 55 gal Clear for Life Uniquarium from a 28 gal Nano Cube after 1 yr, 9 mos. as a reef tank owner!
Rate this Entry

Why the Upgrade to Clear for Life Uniquarium?

Posted 09/20/2012 at 03:45 PM by sweetyness
Updated 09/26/2012 at 09:09 PM by sweetyness

The 2 main reasons for upgrading from a 28 gal Nano Cube to a 55 gal Uniquarium are more gallons (Nano is busting at the seems with coral!), and having a fresh new start (no inherited problems). Plus I want to switch to LED lighting, the Metal Halide I have now runs my electricity up & is too hot, so my air conditioning and fans run more. During these So Cal hot months this year my 2 mo. Electric/water bill went up from $320. to $717.! Ouch!

Reasons for the Uniquarium choice:[LIST][*]I like having the "works" (pumps, filters, refugium, skimmer, heater, probes) in a condensed area in the back where you can't see them- but wanted a larger area so it's easier to maintain & I can get rid of the HOB fuge;[*]This aquarium measures 36" wide x 18" deep x 20" tall. Perfect for the area next to my couch. I wanted more gallons but not longer than 36", the display area is 13.5' deep- enough room for rocks & coral without looking crowded. Easy to view everything.[*]The back part inside is the full 36"L x & 20"H x 4" deep- lots of room for all my equipment, filter bags & refugium rocks & chaeto.[*]Clear for Life is highly rated with a lifetime guarantee, and I rec'd a killer price from my LFS since I am a good customer![/LIST]I use an antique desk as an aquarum stand and the center open space is full of a balast, power bars, timers, etc.
[IMG]http://janayeakel.com/graphics/Reef-Tank/cords.jpg[/IMG]
No way I want to have to plumb down to a sump, etc. etc. I am determined to make this work in a clean, compact way!

Manufacturer images (with blue back, mine is black):
[IMG]http://janayeakel.com/graphics/Reef-Tank/50RUniquarium.jpg[/IMG]

Next post will list what I bought to start my new tank build. Thanks! ~Jana
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 18880 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments