Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > sacremon
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Things starting to come together

Posted 05/04/2010 at 08:01 PM by sacremon
Updated 05/05/2010 at 08:50 AM by sacremon

I had an electrician out today to assess what is going on with the wiring, and what can be done about it. What we settled on is to wire a separate 20A line via a 1/2" PVC outside the house, as otherwise we would have to knock at least one hole in a wall, and possibly more if there is no way to snake the wire past the fireplace. All in all fairly inexpensive, and it will put the aquarium on its own circuit.

Tomorrow the LFS owner comes over and helps break down the present aquarium. The lion will spend time in one of his tanks, the tang and rabbit + inverts will be in a 33g Brute can till the new tank cycles. I will be using some live sand + live rock to seed the bacteria in the new tank, and use reagent grade ammonium hydroxide as the ammonia source. It isn't cheap, but it goes a long way and I don't have to worry about contaminants.

I asked the LFS owner if he had a source for Red Sea fish. He said sure, if I gave him a good two months notice. So I asked him to get ahold of a Pterois radiata, a Variola louti and a Gymnomuraena zebra, which are all Red Sea species. So is the existing Desjardini tang and to a lesser extent the volitans (P. Miles is the species found in the Red Sea, though the two species are very similar). Just the Siganus magnificus is right out of a Red Sea biotope, but I'm not getting rid of the fish.

[edit] I had said that I want to pick up keeping goniopora again, and that those weren't from the Red Sea area, either, but that was incorrect. There are goniopora in the Red Sea.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 11804 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments