Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Spaced Cowboy
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Rock on!

Posted 09/22/2011 at 05:25 PM by Spaced Cowboy
Updated 09/28/2011 at 03:34 PM by Spaced Cowboy
Tags build

So the BRS rock arrived today. I can't do too much with it until the weekend, but I've put it outside ready to be seriously powerwashed before I start trying to come up with ideas for aquascaping...

[CENTER][IMG]http://0x0000ff.com/imgs/fishtank/rock-pre-wash.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

To give an idea of scale, the large flat circular rock with all the protrusions on it towards the upper left is approximately 16" across. It's going to make a wonderful cap to a rock-island in the tank.

This isn't all the rock I'll be using - it's 100 lbs of rock in a 240-gallon tank. I'm going to get some real "live" rock as well - probably about 50 lbs or so, which will still leave me "under" the normal rock quota, but I'm going for a minimalist aquascape, with space for fish to swim. The vision here is a large tank with lots of space, and lots of smaller fish, rather than blowing the 'budget' with a smaller number of tangs. Ok. There may be one (possibly 2) tangs, but only the smaller ones...

I was planning on using aquacon for rock - I liked the way they would specify the size of rock you get, but after reading about their reputation, I'm not considering them any more. Now I'm thinking of using [URL="http://www.liverocknreef.com/liverock/index.php?l=product_detail&p=7920"]liverocknreef[/URL] and going for 50 lbs of their Cherry Primo Picked Decorator rock - the photos look amazing.

I've bought some of the "driveway reflectors" from Home Depot, and I'm going to epoxy them into a schedule-40 piping stand, then drill holes in the rock to let me place the rocks on top of each other in islands, and have some stability to boot. I'm thinking 2 main islands, with an arm extending from one of them into the middle of the tank, sort of like an archipelago but underwater
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8961 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments