Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > sacremon
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Yet another snag

Posted 04/30/2010 at 09:55 AM by sacremon

As I mentioned in my first post, our house is about 50 years old. The electrical system is a bit of a mish-mash. The previous owners clearly had some issues with the wiring in the lower level, which is where they had their entertainment system. That portion of the house is grounded, while much of the rest is not (kitchen excepted). They also split out the breaker into two 15 amp breakers instead of a single 20 amp.

At one point I was using a Mag24 as the pump supplying the skimmer. It is a pump that uses a lot of juice and throws out a lot of heat. My little 1/10 HP chiller was running half the time, day or night, to keep up, and the breaker would flip anytime something out of the ordinary was turned on that was on the same circuit. The Mag24 got replaced with a Reeflo Snapper and the heat and electrical issues went away. Well, the heat issue went away, the electrical issues were far and few between. However, they are still there on occasion, and last night was one of those occasions.

We just got a PS3, primarily to use as a DVD/Blu-Ray player and for streamed movies. My wife was playing around with it (she's much more gadget-oriented than I am) and the breaker went. She reset it, and it flipped immediately as everything (including the MH lights) tried to power up at the same time. I turned off the lights and we were able to restore power again. So I'm trying to get ahold of an electrician to come out and see what can be done in short order, at least to see if we can upgrade the breaker to 20A, failing that to see what can be done to route more power to the room without tearing out walls.

I'm using the Snapper for the skimmer and the chiller, and a Mag 7 for the return at present. I'm thinking I will need something more than the Mag7 for the 300DD, so I really need to have this electrical issue resolved, and resolved soon.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10215 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments