Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > sacremon
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

A small snag

Posted 04/29/2010 at 07:21 AM by sacremon

I decided that I needed a little background on my LFS before I told this story. My LFS is not located in a storefront. It started that way, but it was rented space and the building was sold, so the owner had to move. The owner is a young guy, finishing up his college education after having been out in the work force for a while. He lives in a condo in the same county as his parents live, maybe 20 miles away from them. His father is a CFO for some company, so his parents have a nice house, including a sunlit basement. After he had to move from the commercial building, he moved his business into his parents' basement. His mother, who is a realtor, is his business manager (not much work for realtors right now). There have been issues with the neighbors regarding traffic, but I think that has all been smoothed out now that they know what all is going on. Technically he can use the house as a place of business because he has an aquarium maintenance business tied into the shop as well, and that does not violate the zoning (so I'm told).

So anyway, I get a call from the LFS owner's mother earlier this week. He had told her of the sale, and the plan to deliver the tank using his pickup and muscle that I supplied. She nixed it immediately, pointing out that the pickup bed would flex too much for a tank. With her recommendation, I am going with a moving company that have moved large tanks for them before. The distributor will deliver the tank to the house, probably at the road at the top of the driveway, and the movers will take care of it from there. We have a long-ish downward sloping driveway, which isn't the easiest to get large trucks down without them scraping the gate when it flattens out at the end. Frankly, even though it will run me $300 + tip, it is better this way. If nothing else, they carry insurance. Since they have a two hour minimum, I'll have them carry the empty 125g and it's stand into the storage area. Plus, if we really can't get the tank sideways though the ground level door (the bare tank can, but I know there is packaging including two pallets), then the other option is through the sliding glass door in back and down a set of stairs to the lower floor. I will be more than happy to leave that kind of maneuver to the professionals.

Scheduled delivery date is May 6th, a week from today.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10062 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments