Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Follow my Oceanic 144g half circle reef tanks progress.
Rate this Entry

Clown release and new Cardinals

Posted 01/05/2012 at 05:28 PM by Aaarrrggg
Updated 01/05/2012 at 07:23 PM by Aaarrrggg

I've been testing the nitrate and it's finally starting to fall! (20 instead of 30)
I thought I'd celebrate by releasing Guybrush & Marley into the big tank!!

I pulled Marley's beloved faux-nemone out first and placed it on "nem forest to be" pillar. Then I scooped both clowns out. Guybrush proved true to his name and was far more resourceful at eluding capture, but I got him in the end. When I added them to the 144g Marley dove straight into her fake anemone!

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/TheAaarrrggg/my-nem.jpg[/IMG]

Guybrush swam to the side of the tank and looked a bit lost, but after about 10mins she found him and they went exploring together...

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/TheAaarrrggg/clowns-explore.jpg[/IMG]

She'd only leave the comfort of her anemone for a little while before returning to it... so she definitely considers it her host. I managed to get a vid of her behavior, (excuse the noise in the background, hubby was making dinner.) This was shot about 15mins after they were added to the tank:

[youtube]SYUXAvnQ7io[/youtube]

They've had 3 nights in the big tank now and for some reason Marley has elected to leave the anemone and sleep near the sandbed with Guybrush... which is odd because the main time she used the anemone in the nano was to sleep. I suspect it might be the Radion moonlights causing it. At the moment they don't have a lunar cycle like the AI Sols did, so they are quite bright at nighttime. I'm going to have another play with the settings and see if I can get the brightness down. Still, I take it as a good sign that she wants to sleep next to Guybrush.

As time wares on they've been getting braver, exploring more and more of the tank. Being tank bred fish I recon they must think this is "That Ocean Place" the other wild caught fish have told them so much about! They certainly seem pleased with their new digs... I just hope they won't mind when they get some roommates!

Speaking of roommates... I got to cash in my first Christmas fish token! Say hello to [B]my new Bangaii Cardinals; Isaac & Miria![/B]

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/TheAaarrrggg/token1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/TheAaarrrggg/cardis-QT.jpg[/IMG]

A local reef club member had seen my thread so when he saw them being traded in at the LFS he msged me! They're tank bred and were spawning in the previous owners tank. It was only a half hr until the LFS closed but luckily we live pretty close, so we sped over there to grab them. It was so unexpected and exciting!! MUCH more fun (and cheaper!) than ordering from Divers Den! Local reef clubs are so cool!!

They're in my nano now which will be my QT for the time being. They were pretty nervous of me until I offered them some frozen mysis. Wow can cardinals really move when they want too! Now we're best buds and they keep coming to the front to see if I have more treats for them. Gotta love tank bred fish hehe!

I've been reading up Bangaii Cardinal breeding. Did you know they're actually on the endangered species list?? That's pretty crazy! I hope I can help the wild population by raising some babies myself.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10168 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments