Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Stolireef
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Changing Bulbs

Posted 04/08/2013 at 07:19 PM by Stolireef

I created a thread a couple of days ago indicating that I was 'angry with my tank'. The last several months have been very frustrating, to say the least. One of the responses questioned my lighting. While I'm sure I have plenty of 'watts per gallon', it did get me thinking.

When I first set up the tank, I used Radion LED's. I really didn't like the color or growth under them. As a result, I sold them to a fellow reefer (who loves them BTW) and purchased a Hamilton Belize with 2x250 MH 14K MH and 2x54w T5 actinics. About four months ago, I switched out the Hamiltons for Ushio 20Ks. In previous tanks, I always ran 20K Radiums so I thought...why not.

I just ordered 2 15K XM's and 2 14K Phoenix. I think I'll try out one pair for three months and see how it goes. If things are great, I'll just sell the others. If things are still questionable, I'll try the others. Going to start with the XMs.

The only reason I'm doing this is because it seems that my blue SPS are having more difficulty than my reds. Perhaps (although I don't think so) it's a spectrum issue. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks to all who read this miserable excuse for a blog.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 29383 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. New Comment
    I am following... I recently switched back to to a 150w and 4 t5 fixture over my tank. I was using some Chinese LEDs for about a year and I did not like the growth I was getting. Beautiful colors but nothing in comparison to Halide/T5 combos. I am currently using a Phoenix 14k and 4 ATI Blue Plus. Keep us posted!
  2. New Comment
    SPS corals aren't as simple as give them light and they grow.
    Some SPS can grow under just T5 lighting. I would think the problem would be somewhere else.. How is your overall tank doing.. Ive had great results with my Radion's with growing SPS and have had some soft corals still ****ed off only running them at 40%...