Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

Filtration Update

Posted 03/04/2016 at 09:00 PM by LVMAS

Hello Everyone.

Welcome to my reef page and my first official post. So here is my mindset the week before I put water in the sump and no NOT yet in the reef aquarium:

There is 160 pounds of (used) base rock up in the tank I took from storage that I have used in tanks in the past. I pressure washed it but I still expect it to have Nitrates and phosphate. I further expect it to leach into the water.
I have 3 Home Depot 5 gallon buckets of old sugar size sand I...
HDBanger Reefer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 23335 Comments 0 Go to first new comment LVMAS is offline Edit Tags
Unread

About Coralline...

Posted 02/15/2016 at 05:44 PM by Sk8r

About coralline: the purple stuff...an FYI.
Coralline is a red algae that shows as purple: it binds calcium, and covers rock in a purple coat that many hobbyists find quite pretty. And it does limit where pest algae can grow. It seems to start out as a dark red velvety coat and then starts laying down the calcium-shelled purple/pink stuff right amid it.

Do you want coralline? here's how. First, obtain some live coralline. A single tiny spot on one rock will do. You can also...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 58445 Comments 3 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Let's discuss...salt.

Posted 02/15/2016 at 05:43 PM by Sk8r

Let's discuss...salt.
You'd think that salt mixes emulating the ocean would all be real similar...and you'd wonder why some cost more than others. Prettier package? Crazy pricing?

Well, not so much that...as salt for various purposes. PURE salt is sodium chloride, NaCl...but that won't do. [Yes, somebody always asks, can I use Morton's table salt?---no. That would be a disaster.]

If you look at the label of your salt mix, you'll see a very, very long list of...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 16688 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Unread

The New 450 Gallon Reef Build (Update 3)

Posted 01/26/2016 at 03:04 PM by LVMAS
Updated 01/27/2016 at 02:26 PM by LVMAS (Update 3 not 2)

The Aquarium is coming along nicely. The Seamless Sump has been completed. Plumbing to be done this weekend. Cycling to start shortly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35 Gallon ATO.JPG
Views:	6978
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	95   Click image for larger version

Name:	BaffleSSump.JPG
Views:	7720
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	96   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	7610
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	97   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSump.JPG
Views:	7022
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	100   Click image for larger version

Name:	SkimandMarineblocks.JPG
Views:	6340
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	101  

HDBanger Reefer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 23028 Comments 0 Go to first new comment LVMAS is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Formalin Dip as part of quarantine

Posted 01/16/2016 at 08:58 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post

If the goal is prevention without the fish showing actual symptoms I would only do one dip - the one at arrival.

It is done easily:

1. take the fish out of the bag and place them into a container. Take just as much water from the bag as is needed for the fish to swim. in the container. Ideally you use a graduated container or one you have metered out and marked yourself so you know which volume you have at a certain fill level.
Team RC member
Views 59791 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags