Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > LVMAS
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Filtration Update

Posted 03/04/2016 at 09:00 PM by LVMAS

Hello Everyone.

Welcome to my reef page and my first official post. So here is my mindset the week before I put water in the sump and no NOT yet in the reef aquarium:

There is 160 pounds of (used) base rock up in the tank I took from storage that I have used in tanks in the past. I pressure washed it but I still expect it to have Nitrates and phosphate. I further expect it to leach into the water.
I have 3 Home Depot 5 gallon buckets of old sugar size sand I used and I will give it a good rinse to remove any nutrient sink that is that as well.

I have 6 big blocks of Marine Pure in the Seamless Sump as well as about 60 pounds of additional reef rock for filtration. I will start the Skimmer, the Bio-Pellet Reactor and my DIY "inefficient by design" Algae Scrubber on opening day and for the life of the system.
Some people suggested that my reef system will be too sterile. I think not. I am planning long term perhaps as long as 20 years out. I'm starting the system with a worst case "Old Tank Syndrome" scenario now Each rock pile location in the tanks and in the Seamless Sump will have a 4x4x2 blocks of Corrugated Plastic to breed Copepods.

The Nitrogen cycle: The Seamless Sump Cycle will be started first. I will be Ghost feeding and after the ammonia and Nitrite Spike, Ill put a few fish in the sump and copepods. My intent is to grow up the fauna and flora from the very beginning.

For those of you whom have been asking about the Seamless Sumps being used on a large reef system I will show details and videos as I move along.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 23285 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments