Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > My Berghia Nudibranch Blog
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Berghia blog
Rate this Entry

Berghia Nudibranch 10/9/09

Posted 10/09/2009 at 09:23 AM by gws76
Updated 10/09/2009 at 09:50 AM by gws76 (spelling)

Started the berghia tank again last night. They were munching on aiptasia this morning when I got up. Should be successful in the breeding this time. I believe that one damsel lead to the dimise on the last attempt. So this time I went with a 5 gal. tank with nothing but the nudi's and aiptasia to feed them. Thanks for the nudi's Dr. Whitby.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 189923 Comments 13 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 13

Comments

1. New Comment
    Siphoned more aiptasia out of the sand bed in the display tank this evening. Cracks me up when the siphon tube gets within range of the aiptasia. One second they're there, the next they're not. oh well. The siphoned ones make good snacks for the berghia. Keeps them healthy and fed.
    Updated 10/11/2009 at 12:27 PM by gws76
  2. New Comment
    Nudi's ate a couple more aiptasia thru the night. The spiral of eggs has not hatched yet. Should be any day now.
  3. New Comment

10-11-09

I beleive this egg cluster has begun to finally hatch. The clusters are generally in a spiral shape. This one started to lose that spiral shape last night. Notice the center and outside of the spiral are now broken.

Here's a baby. Looked like detritus.

I observed the adults laying more egg clusters on the bottom side of the rock this morning. I sure hope the majority survive.
  4. New Comment
    that's awesome!! Thanks for sharing this
  5. New Comment
    Thanks. My first attempt at this blog thing. Not much more to tell tonight. Nudi's eating aiptasia. That has a beautiful ring to it. lol

I finally removed the rock Sunday evening. Now they're laying eggs all over the tank walls. I'll have to post some more pics. Maybe I'll get one of them eating aiptasia this time. I never think to grab the camera when they're munching them. I just keep having these thoughts of revenge as they eat them.

My move is to try and breed as many as possible. Then introduce them to my display. I have an infestation going on. Only problem is the sixline wrasse. I have a feeling they better work fast around the sixline.
  6. New Comment

10/15/09

These guys ate through 5 aiptasia from last night to sometime today. I'm going to have to try and get some of the fatty aiptasia out tomorrow. Maybe that will satify them for awhile.

Here's some updated pics. Egg clusters are being laid everwhere.

Notice the baby above the larger nudi.
  7. New Comment
    wow they are laying eggs everywhere!!
  8. New Comment

10/17/09

There's even more egg clusters tonight.
    Here's some feeding pics. Go ahead and be a pig. lol

Here come's a baby, must want to get in on the action.
  9. New Comment
    wow looks like that baby has grown!
  10. New Comment
    Not much has happened since my last update. Berghia are still eating and laying eggs everywhere. But still no babies. Not sure what to make of that. I was concerned that maybe an amphipod or flat worm had made it into the system. They're known killers of berghia eggs and offspring. No amphipods or flat worms have been seen. It would be really hard for me to miss them, since I don't add live rock to the breeding tank. The only life I add to the tank are aiptasia that have been siphoned off the sand bed of my display tank. Hmmm?? Just don't know what's going on.
  11. New Comment
    FOUND EM! Babies are in there, they're just very tiny at this point. There seem to be hundreds of them. Shouldn't be long now, until I unleash the berghia army on my display tank.
    Updated 11/17/2009 at 03:18 PM by gws76
  12. New Comment
    Great. Glad they are found!!! Any new pictures?
  13. New Comment
    Ok, think I've got it now. All of my adult berghia have passed onto the great unknown, hopefully full of aiptasia. I wasn't sure if any of my egg clusters were hatching. A freind of mine just kept saying, "be patient". Well the patience is finally paying off.

I thought the tanks were devoid of any berghia babies. Instead of emptying the tanks out and cleaning them up, I just left them fallow and topped them off from time to time to the point that I almost forgot about them. Well the other night I'm out in the fishroom cleaning up and noticed, nudi's in the berghia tanks.

For anyone growing these guys out from eggs. Be patient, they are so tiny when they hatch, you can't see them for awhile.

Here's what I'm using to grow them out and have been since day one. I use a 5 gal acrylic tank, with a heater and left over water change water from my display. No air pumps or power heads, since these can kill the nudi's. I do not move rocks with aiptasia over to my nudi breeding tank since pests can and do transfer over from the rocks. Bristle worms, amphipods, and who knows what else will eat your nudi babies before you ever see them. As for feeding them, I was siphoning aiptasia off my sandbed in my display tank. Bad idea. No telling how many predators of baby nudi's I sucked off the sandbed while siphoning aiptasia. Now I just use a pair of hemostats and grab aiptasia by the base then pull them out and toss them in the berghia tank. Yes, this leaves the aiptasia foot in the display, but if your feeding berghia, you'll need them to regrow anyway.
    Updated 02/01/2010 at 03:44 PM by gws76