Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

And then there were two

Posted 10/09/2018 at 10:20 AM by sacremon

I got a call from my maintenance guy that one of the C. semilarvatus had died. No disease that he could see, but he noted that it hadn't been eating much. That leaves two there and one existing one in my tank. Not sure how well this will go, particularly if the two in his tank happen to have bonded. If they are both around by the time quarantine is done, I will have to monitor how they integrate into the tank carefully.

Also I was off on the price. $95 each plus the shipping...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 74183 Comments 0 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Not exactly what I was planning...

Posted 09/27/2018 at 10:36 PM by sacremon

I recently got a couple Red Sea endemic butterflies, a C. semilarvatus and a C. fasciatus. The original plan was to get a pair of C. semilarvatus from someone that my maintenance guy knew, who has seven in a 700g. He decided not to part with his fish, which I can understand, so I went and got the two that I have from DD. Last week I get a call from my maintenance guy that he a line on a number of C. semilarvatus from an importer and could get them for $70 apiece. These fish normally retail for...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 44502 Comments 0 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Measurements, part 2

Posted 09/16/2018 at 10:06 AM by sacremon

Something that occurred to me at the time I was making my post was a comparison to hard drives, how a drive is advertised as being 400GB but in the computer it is shown as being 372.5GB. Thing is, the situation with aquariums and with hard drives are for completely different reasons.

Hard drive manufacturers define a gigabyte as 1 billion bytes. 1,000,000,000 or 10^9. Computers operate in powers of 2. The way the operating systems are designed, a gigabyte is a power of 2 that...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 38547 Comments 0 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags
Unread

What is it about measurements in this industry?

Posted 09/15/2018 at 01:45 PM by sacremon

I have a background as a trained lab scientist - Ph.D in Toxicology. Measurements need to be precise, but more importantly they need to be accurate.

Precise = How many digits of precision the value has, so 10.2983 is more precise than 10.4

Accurate = How close the reported value is to the actual value. If the actual value is 10.35 then 10.4 is more accurate than 10.2983

There are two places where measurements get me in this industry. One is the reported...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 58813 Comments 1 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Okay, so it has been a while

Posted 09/13/2018 at 09:03 AM by sacremon

I find myself with some free time and desire to start blogging again.

Lots of things have changed since that last post. The tank got upgraded to a 300DD I think later in 2011, thanks to a bonus at work. Zebra eel had a fatal run in with the fire urchin, which was painful to watch.

In early 2012 I got a Platax orbicularis (round or orbiculate batfish) along with another volitans lion. At some point Chris, the LFS guy who by that point was doing regular maintenance...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 36296 Comments 0 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags