Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

Ch,Ch,Ch,Chaaanges...

Posted 10/23/2011 at 06:47 PM by Spaced Cowboy
Updated 10/23/2011 at 07:02 PM by Spaced Cowboy
Tags build

So, this weekend I hooked up the Litermeter III. The plan was to set it up to swap out 20 gallons of water per week, and top up with freshwater. It didn't quite turn out that way, and I suspect I've got the wrong pump (I bought an 'external pump' rather than a 'water-exchange unit'). I think I'll be able to do it though.

[CENTER][IMG]http://0x0000ff.com/imgs/fishtank/litermeter.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

In the snapshot, the blue line is the freshwater, the red line is the...
South Bay Reefer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9515 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Spaced Cowboy is offline Edit Tags
Unread

The sound of Silence ?

Posted 10/16/2011 at 07:35 PM by Spaced Cowboy
Updated 10/23/2011 at 06:31 PM by Spaced Cowboy (update on blog entry)
Tags build

So, now the tank is full of water, the Bean overflow is happily in place, and the only (tiny) leak actually drips into the sump anyway. I'll fix it, but it's not crucial right now.

The Warner Marine K2 skimmer is plugged in and switched on, it's actually producing far too many bubbles at the moment, even with the gate valve completely open (!). I've left it to overflow back into the sump, and I hope this is because the thing is squeaky clean and needs to bed in for a little while....
South Bay Reefer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9280 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Spaced Cowboy is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Fill 'er up

Posted 10/15/2011 at 10:43 PM by Spaced Cowboy
Tags build

Well, the moment has finally arrived. It's been a hectic last few weeks (both at work and at home) so I haven't had too much time to play with the tank, but after re-doing some of the underneath plumbing, the tank and plumbing appear to be holding water

To test things out, I did as before, and short-circuited the plumbing so I didn't need to fill the tank, but once there were no leaks for a good hour or so of pumping, I could start to fill the tank up... Here's the start......
South Bay Reefer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8556 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Spaced Cowboy is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Lighting, the way

Posted 09/28/2011 at 10:36 AM by Spaced Cowboy
Tags build

So much of this is just thinking ahead, trying to make sure it's not like being in the army ... hurry up, and wait ... hurry up, and wait ... ad nauseum.

The lighting set up is going to be DIY LEDs. This is for a couple of reasons:
[LIST][*]Cost is important - the less money I spend on lighting, the more I can spend on corals... oh, and the baby due in February [grin][*]Control is important too. The way I'm planning to ultimately set it up is a little more expressive than most....
South Bay Reefer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9710 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Spaced Cowboy is offline Edit Tags
Unread

The Dead Sea

Posted 09/27/2011 at 10:11 AM by Spaced Cowboy
Updated 09/27/2011 at 10:44 AM by Spaced Cowboy
Tags build

Incremental progress is being made! The dead material is all in the tank now - the sand and rocks are set up how I want them to be, and it's actually starting to look like an aquarium, rather than a glass box...

You can see that I changed the angle of the stand supporting the large flat plate in the middle of the tank. I thought it was too beautiful a piece of rock to be mostly-hidden by nature of being too high up and horizontal. The slight inclination to the front shows off the...
South Bay Reefer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8952 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Spaced Cowboy is offline Edit Tags