Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old
Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Jumpin' Jawfish Batman!

Posted 03/01/2012 at 05:54 PM by Aaarrrggg (Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream)

Well it seems I might have spoken too soon about my "happy" Jawfish. A few hours after posting last, I heard a loud "plop" come from the tank. I went over to find Kululu sitting on the sand looking agitated after presumably jumping out and bumping his head on the plastic edging at the top of the tank. Well at least my jawfish defenses seem good enough to prevent carpet surfing!

The next day he was nowhere to be found in the tank. Growing increasingly panicked,...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 14591 Comments 4 Aaarrrggg is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Understanding damsels: chromis, clowns, and others

Posted 04/14/2012 at 06:12 PM by Sk8r

Understanding damsels, chromis, clowns...
These are the professional 'little guys' of the reef.
They require much more space than people realize: 100 gallons is good...for most.
They're also good 'dither fish,' who reassure other fish the coast is clear.

You can see dozens of them about a reef. Let a predator swim by and---boink!---if you blinked you missed it. They've all vanished.

WHere? Each fish individually has a tiny hole somewhere in the...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 12129 Comments 3 Sk8r is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 70 votes, 5.00 average.

LEDs and PAR/Quantum Meters Part 2: PAR

Posted 05/02/2012 at 09:06 AM by GeorgeMonnatJr
Updated 05/02/2012 at 11:52 AM by GeorgeMonnatJr

This is the middle part of my experiences so far with reef aquarium lighting continuing from [URL="http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=517"]my general thoughts on technologies (Part 1)[/URL] with the end goal of [URL="http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=519"]how I measured my LEDs (Part 3)[/URL].

As before, this blog is as much a place for me to keep my thoughts straight and engender discussion and something to refer to instead of retyping the...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 30600 Comments 7 GeorgeMonnatJr is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 44 votes, 5.00 average.

LEDs and PAR/Quantum Meters Part 3: Quantum Sensors and LEDs

Posted 05/02/2012 at 10:17 AM by GeorgeMonnatJr
Updated 06/18/2012 at 07:30 AM by GeorgeMonnatJr

I've finally reached the meat of my blog where I post the stuff that I find myself repeating in multiple threads, continuing from [URL="http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=517"]my general thoughts on technologies (Part 1)[/URL] and [URL="http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=518"]the definition of PAR (Part 2)[/URL].

As before, this blog is as much a place for me to keep my thoughts straight and engender discussion and something to refer to instead...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 27746 Comments 3 GeorgeMonnatJr is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Cyano, i'm finally rid of you

Posted 05/16/2012 at 03:41 PM by IridescentLily
Updated 07/05/2012 at 07:50 PM by IridescentLily

Cyano looks like red, slimy algae but it is actually a bacteria. Let me describe my cyano issue and how we managed to eradicate it.
I think the red slimy cyano began because of two things; Nutrients (excess food), and the changing of my hqi bulb.
I've always fed the corals 1-2 times a week. I've been feeding this way for about a year. I had no algae issues. No diatoms, no cyano, no hair algae no byropsis, no valonia. Though i have had a four aiptasia that a couple of peppermint...
Editor-Reefkeeping mag
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 20003 Comments 7 IridescentLily is offline Edit Tags