Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old

Let's discuss...salt.

Posted 02/15/2016 at 05:43 PM by Sk8r

Let's discuss...salt.
You'd think that salt mixes emulating the ocean would all be real similar...and you'd wonder why some cost more than others. Prettier package? Crazy pricing?

Well, not so much that...as salt for various purposes. PURE salt is sodium chloride, NaCl...but that won't do. [Yes, somebody always asks, can I use Morton's table salt?---no. That would be a disaster.]

If you look at the label of your salt mix, you'll see a very, very long list of...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2120 Comments 0 Sk8r is online now Edit Tags
Old

178 hours with no power: tank saved

Posted 11/26/2015 at 10:11 AM by Sk8r

178 hours with no heat or electricity---here's how I got my tank through it.
I debated where to post this, but decided that NTTH was best.
What I used: 1 small plastic bucket, bottle of Prime, bottle of hydrogen peroxide typical strength, and a lot candles, a lot of lamp oil, two sheets, and a lot of 1-pound canisters of propane with a Mr. Heater from Ace, a hunter's propane heater.
4:30 pm Tuesday 17th Nov: ferocious windstorm takes out power for 300,000 homes in Spokane region....
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5687 Comments 5 Sk8r is online now Edit Tags
Old

Pests multiplying in tank: how serious? how to cure...

Posted 11/16/2015 at 08:47 PM by Sk8r

Can pests run wild in your tank? FYI
Generally one aiptasia is not reason to run in panic or nuke a rock.
Generally, if your tank does not have an oversupply of something a pest likes, it won't multiply that fast. This is important to understand.

Conversely, if something IS multiplying out of all reason, you have a deeper problem than the pest. Your tank is charged with way too much of something. It may be your skimmer is under-performing re your tank size. It may be...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2824 Comments 0 Sk8r is online now Edit Tags
Old

The humbug damsel

Posted 11/07/2015 at 04:47 PM by Sk8r

My quirky, buzzing, cloud-making damsel showpiece...
I love damsels. My favorite tank is a damsel reef. I'm pretty good at it. I don't have nipped fins or the like---and one of the keys, I think, is, a) keep it to one of a kind and b) figure there's 'one ring to rule them all...' or, there will be a boss damsel, and some species are more apt than others to take that role.

My dark lord of the tank is actually a golden onespot dascyllus---size and shape about that of the smaller...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4252 Comments 2 Sk8r is online now Edit Tags
Old

Household products or situations that can damage your tank

Posted 10/17/2015 at 12:22 PM by Sk8r

Household products or situations that can damage your tank
1. pesticides
2. ammonia- or petroleum-based glass cleaners
3. scented candles
4. carpet fresheners
5. paints, refinishers and other associated products like thinners and cleaners, including from hobby.
6. smoke, including heavy tobacco smoke
7. air fresheners
8. Lysol and other cleaners
9. antimicrobial or antibiotic sponges or cleaners or gloves
10. flea treatments...
RC Mod
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2485 Comments 0 Sk8r is online now Edit Tags