Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Instant Ocean HoldFast (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2326794)

Mayito 08/27/2013 06:13 PM

Instant Ocean HoldFast

Can the Instant Ocean HoldFast cure under water? Right after sticking rocks or corals, can I put them back to water ?

terrypercula 08/27/2013 06:18 PM

Yes. The water actual helps cure it. Assuming it is well kneeded.

Mayito 08/27/2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrypercula (Post 21848150)
Yes. The water actual helps cure it. Assuming it is well kneeded.

Thank you so much !

SirKevinD 08/27/2013 10:56 PM

Beware when using this! I used a tube in my reef and after kneading the putty it smells toxic! Shortly after putting it in my skimmer flipped plum out and started overflowing (internal aquaticlife 115). I will not use it again IMO.

Sn8kbyt 08/27/2013 11:38 PM

It will most likely have an effect on your skimmer for 24 hours. So will super glue, weld on, ect. This is normal and something to be expected from anything added to our closed systems.

sellersmd 08/28/2013 08:35 AM

Personally, I stick with cyanoacrylate-based super glue. Several reasons for this.

First, combining the green and white portions of the putty (which is required to generate the adhesive property) is an exothermic reaction, and thud generates quite a bit of heat. You'll notice this as you mix it. I've heard legend of nearby coral being upset/damaged by the radiant heat of curing in the tank. Next, it does have an off-putting smell, as mentioned above. No, it is not toxic, however. Lastly, I find that the putty just doesn't stick well, particularly to maricultured liverock that is covered in various 'stuff.'

The cyanoacrylate doesn't really have any of these problems. My personal favorite as of late is the purple-colored 'reef glue' for sale online or at most decent LFS.

cloak 08/28/2013 11:18 AM

I've used all kinds of different epoxies over the years and have never had any problems with them. (JB Waterweld, PC Marine, Aquamend, Marineland, etc)

The super glue gel works pretty well for the smaller things, but the epoxy can support much more weight IME. It's also good for smothering things such as hydroids, clove polyps, etc.

dixiedog 09/13/2013 07:04 PM

I've used TONS of HoldFast, no problems, this stuff is totally good to go. All epoxy stinks to one extent or another. Some skimmers are affected by some epoxies, some are not. Mine for instance is not. Use a little caution at first.

Superglue and epoxy each have their uses. Try to glue a tennis-ball size rock down with superglue. :lmao: