Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Corals in your refugium? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2660251)

marco j 12/03/2017 10:44 AM

Corals in your refugium?

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning Reefers,

Random thought for the day. I am converting my 180g display to SPS,LPS, and Zoa only tanks. I have several Kenya’s and assorted leathers that I am going to remove. I also run a 75g DSB refugium with probably higher flow than most suggest.

I wanted to reach out to the community to gauge your recommendations whether it would have a negative impact on my system if I moved my softies there?

ATM pics attached

Thanks for the input! :)

skiingfast 12/03/2017 04:26 PM

Interesting idea. Do you grow Macro with the grow light? What will be done with it? Of course if flow is good and you have a light for the leathers it should work fine.

Mainly you are just taking your existing system and moving things around right? So what difference would it make.

marco j 12/03/2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiingfast (Post 25292304)
Interesting idea. Do you grow Macro with the grow light? What will be done with it? Of course if flow is good and you have a light for the leathers it should work fine.

Mainly you are just taking your existing system and moving things around right? So what difference would it make.

Basically, I am under the impression that sps always lose the battle between the corals and the last thing I need is a crappy leather to sting my acros or montis.

I just figured in stead of trading it away. Kind like how some people end up with fish in their sumps.

And yes I do have Chaetomorphia in the fuge, it doesn’t tumble though.

saf1 12/03/2017 07:46 PM

I've seen Xenia so why not? Not sure how much they will export but they would do something I'm sure.

Sapelo 12/04/2017 08:27 AM

I spent over a year trying to kill some GSP in my refugium. I am sorry to report that it is still happy and healthy.
I think your plan will work just fine if my experience is any basis.

McPuff 12/04/2017 10:06 AM

Yes, you can certainly put softies and LPS into your refugium. They will actually help to filter the water as well. Plus, it'll make your refugium more interesting. Please post more pics of your system! Looks pretty cool!

urban_s 12/04/2017 10:18 AM

I have a few xenia in my fuge. They grow well...almost towell

billdogg 12/04/2017 01:00 PM

The downside will be the turpines released by the soft corals that might adversely affect the stonies. Run lots of carbon to help with that.

oldhead 12/04/2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapelo (Post 25292836)
I spent over a year trying to kill some GSP in my refugium. I am sorry to report that it is still happy and healthy.

Want to kill it just give it to me. It just won't grow in my tank. Now after I move everything to my 110 build maybe it will change.

urban_s 12/04/2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldhead (Post 25293118)
Want to kill it just give it to me. It just won't grow in my tank. Now after I move everything to my 110 build maybe it will change.

My GSP wont die...but wont grow any....

marco j 12/04/2017 09:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapelo (Post 25292836)

This is really funny. Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPuff (Post 25292924)
Yes, you can certainly put softies and LPS into your refugium. They will actually help to filter the water as well. Plus, it'll make your refugium more interesting. Please post more pics of your system! Looks pretty cool!

Thanks for the compliment. This is my first adventure into salt water and I’ve just now started to have growth. Sometimes I think my system was too clean to grow anything. These aren’t the best shots and it’s sloppy as can be right now. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on how to improve something. Especially if you see something screwed up. Lol

Edit: Having trouble uploading photos of course. Unfortunately only the crappy ones are uploading. Haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by billdogg (Post 25293101)
The downside will be the turpines released by the soft corals that might adversely affect the stonies. Run lots of carbon to help with that.

This is the type of information I am interested in. Does this mean my sps will be at the mercy of my softies? If that’s the case, then I might as well get rid of them or put them in the display.

marco j 12/04/2017 09:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some shots of the growth.

marco j 12/04/2017 10:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
That last shot of how the Red montis looked less than a year ago.

marco j 12/04/2017 10:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here’s a before and after of a frag of some hydnophora I picked up on Black Friday at my LFS. Took this current one just this second. Not too bad for only a little over a week and a half.

DesertReefT4r 12/04/2017 11:12 PM

I kept zenia and kenya in my fuge at one point. Did just fine and grew well, I managed to keep my LSF stocked with zenia that pulsed nicely until they had to tell me know more zenia on trade in.

McPuff 12/05/2017 10:52 AM

The display looks great. I like the rockwork. Take out that GSP before it gets onto other rocks though! :0)

marco j 12/07/2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPuff (Post 25293960)
The display looks great. I like the rockwork. Take out that GSP before it gets onto other rocks though! :0)

Thanks. I plan on taking it out eventually. I had already moved that rock because it had already started to attach to the big rock in the tank. I️ had to scrape it off so it wouldn’t spread. And I’ve got a friend coming by tomorrow to pick up all the leathers I’m getting rid of.

jaking 12/07/2017 10:50 PM

Interesting idea, never thought about it. You must have some pretty good flow in there!

ca1ore 12/07/2017 11:31 PM

I actually run an invert/Fish refugium for animals that are not thriving in the main display. I suppose it's essentially a second display. Currently housing a large gorgonian that is irresistible to my regal angel and a bunch of leathers and frogspawn that are irresistible to my dwarf Angels. Plus a black tang that was on the short end of a zebrasoma beating.

marco j 12/09/2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca1ore (Post 25296879)
I actually run an invert/Fish refugium for animals that are not thriving in the main display. I suppose it's essentially a second display. Currently housing a large gorgonian that is irresistible to my regal angel and a bunch of leathers and frogspawn that are irresistible to my dwarf Angels. Plus a black tang that was on the short end of a zebrasoma beating.

This is what what I imagined my refugium would become if I continue down this road.

Last night I gave my friend all but three Kenyas and my toadstool which I don’t ever plan on getting rid of. I have a large rock covered in GSP that I will eventually give him as well.

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess I just figured it wasn’t worth the hassle if I couldn’t enjoy the corals in my display.