Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Lionfish vs. Snowflake Eel (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618360)

Gone Tidepoolin 01/10/2017 11:59 AM

Lionfish vs. Snowflake Eel

They have been together for 2 years both of them are quite large.
This morning when the lights came on the lionfishs tail is shredded.
What to do? Will it grow back? Do I quarantine him?
The other fish in the tank are:foxface, lunar wrasse, jewel damsel and 2 hawkfish. The clean up crew is:3 urchins, sand sifting star and a fighting conch.
I am only guessing the eel did the damage.

stdreb27 01/10/2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gone Tidepoolin (Post 24902877)
They have been together for 2 years both of them are quite large.

This morning when the lights came on the lionfishs tail is shredded.

What to do? Will it grow back? Do I quarantine him?

The other fish in the tank are:foxface, lunar wrasse, jewel damsel and 2 hawkfish. The clean up crew is:3 urchins, sand sifting star and a fighting conch.

I am only guessing the eel did the damage.

I vote for lunar wrasse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone Tidepoolin 01/10/2017 12:31 PM

The wrasse is also large but this happened after the lights went out, the wrasse usually hides in the rocks at that point. The eel comes out at night.

PalaciosAn 01/10/2017 12:31 PM

It will grow back, keep and eye on the tank and try to see who is picking on him. You may strese them out even more by taking out the wrong fish.

cougareyes 01/10/2017 04:53 PM

My vote is the jeweled damsel, those guys are nasty. It will grow back, no need to qt unless it hit the meat and it doesn't look like it's healing on it's on.

anbosu 01/11/2017 11:40 AM

I would be pretty surprised if it was the eel. I would guess the damsel as well.

scooter31707 01/11/2017 12:12 PM

I agree the damsel might be the culprit.

Gone Tidepoolin 01/11/2017 03:12 PM

Update.. the lionfish has lost color and doesn't want to swim. So I have moved him to a hospital tank and put melafix in it. I'm not sure he will live.
None of the other fish have any damaged fins.

cougareyes 01/11/2017 09:45 PM

Wow...please keep us updated.

Gone Tidepoolin 01/12/2017 01:45 AM

Rip

Came home from work and found him dead.
Still don't know who did it... he was almost 9 inches, the eel is approximately 14 inches, the lunar wrasse and foxface are about 6 inches. The 2 hawkfish are about 3 inches and the jewel damsel is bit size (lol) about 2 inches.

I'm now concerned about getting a new one until I figure out who the bully is.

scooter31707 01/12/2017 08:34 AM

Actually when you shredded, do you think it could have been some infection or parasite? did you add anything new to the tank lately? Just checking all corners.

Gone Tidepoolin 01/12/2017 12:37 PM

Any thoughts? ?

Nothing has been added for over a year.
Only the tail was shredded, I was guessing the eel was attempting to pull the lionfish into the rocks. When the eel eats he thrashes and pulls the food into the rocks.
I feed San Francisco Bay brand silversides, so they shouldn't be a infection source.
I'm at a loss, I hand fed them both so there was not as much waste in the tank. The water parameters are good.

scooter31707 01/12/2017 12:46 PM

Ok. IMO, I don't see that eel trying to mess with that Lionfish when there are safer and smaller prey in the tank. Also could have been the Wrasse nipping. Just my 2 cents.

Gone Tidepoolin 01/12/2017 04:18 PM

Anything is possible, especially since it was a sneak attack from behind!
The wrasse is aggressive, he also eats silversides.