Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anemones & Clownfish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Merten’s Anemone (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2695789)

Planetmacro 05/25/2019 08:26 PM

Merten’s Anemone

I ordered a Merten’s from DD. It arrives Wednesday. This will be my first Merten’s. Any tips?

cali9dub 05/25/2019 08:34 PM

Merten’s Anemone

Cover any powerheads you have.
Oh. And have a huge tank because that nem will grow fast and get about 3’ across.

Overboard 05/25/2019 11:08 PM

I have kept a Merten’s for about two years. It has been quite hardy for me. Not as colorful as other carpets, but the clowns love it.

ThRoewer 05/25/2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planetmacro (Post 25592058)
I ordered a Merten’s from DD. It arrives Wednesday. This will be my first Merten’s. Any tips?

If you don't have it already, order Cipro (Fish Flox from Thomas Labs is Cipro and available without a prescription).
Also prepare a quarantine tank.
You want to observe the anemone for at least a week, better two, to be sure it's healthy. And should it be sick you want to have the medication ready to go.

As for the placement in the display tank, mertensi like to sit in rock crevices the same way as crispa, and they can retreat into it with enough force to make a loose rock pile crumble. So you better have a solid aquascape that is ideally cemented.
And like crispa they like decent flow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Planetmacro 05/26/2019 06:43 AM

Thanks for the information. I’ll order the Cipro ASAP.

Planetmacro 05/26/2019 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overboard (Post 25592085)
I have kept a Merten’s for about two years. It has been quite hardy for me. Not as colorful as other carpets, but the clowns love it.

How much has it grown in the two years?

Overboard 05/26/2019 06:46 AM

Great suggestions from ThRoewer! Having the antibiotic ready is important.

One other tip, I have my Merten’s with its foot anchored in a small clay pot. I then have live rock around the perimeter so the anemone is supported as it spreads out. Seems to like spot. It is has never moved from that set up I, even when I relocated it from one spot in the tank to another. Sort of a detritus trap, but the flow helps.

Overboard 05/26/2019 08:08 AM

It’s has only grown about 4 inches across. I rarely feed it.

OrionN 05/26/2019 11:37 AM

Good luck with this rare anemone. Anemones only grow if fed, either intentionally by Reefers or what ever it catch. Fish foods or fishes (or snails). Good condition and light will only help them grow very slowly. When ever I have an anemone reach the size I want for the space I have in my tank, I just stop feeding and the hardly ever out grow it.

Planetmacro 05/26/2019 02:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the good advice.

Planetmacro 05/30/2019 06:37 AM

The Merten’s arrived yesterday in excellent condition.

OrionN 05/30/2019 06:39 AM

Great. Keep us update

Overboard 05/30/2019 06:50 AM

Looks good!

Planetmacro 05/30/2019 08:59 AM

Thanks guys. Under the right light it has gold tips on its tentacles. Also, the base has beautiful red spots. The clown in the picture is only temporary. After the nem grows a bit I'll decide what species for it to host.

cali9dub 05/30/2019 09:08 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...84815ae657.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c36d4e9168.jpg

Pic of my Mertens. The close up with the clown is from April of 2013 and in the full tank shot you’ll see where it settled and how big it got in just 2 months (you can see the same clownfish underneath it) full tank pic is from June of 2013. Loved the Mertens and would definitely get another, but they grow big and fast !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planetmacro 05/30/2019 10:39 AM

Just fed the Merten's Small Hikari Mysis. Very quick feeding response. This is a well conditioned carpet. Went to buy the second one but it was gone.

Planetmacro 05/30/2019 10:42 AM

Pic of my Mertens. The close up with the clown is from April of 2013 and in the full tank shot you’ll see where it settled and how big it got in just 2 months (you can see the same clownfish underneath it) full tank pic is from June of 2013. Loved the Mertens and would definitely get another, but they grow big and fast !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Nice one! I hope to grow it fast. I saw one on YouTube that's 40 inches in diameter!

D-Nak 05/30/2019 11:07 AM

Nice pick up!

Mertens seem to be more like haddoni in terms of their "durability" with shipping. Most I've seen in the LFS looked really good.

Planetmacro 05/31/2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Nak (Post 25593162)
Nice pick up!

Mertens seem to be more like haddoni in terms of their "durability" with shipping. Most I've seen in the LFS looked really good.

Thanks. I agree that it ships better that gigantea and magnifica

hottuna 05/31/2019 01:57 PM

what's a guy that supposedly has all kinds of wholesale connections doing buying an anemone off DD?

ThRoewer 05/31/2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hottuna (Post 25593496)
what's a guy that supposedly has all kinds of wholesale connections doing buying an anemone off DD?

Mertensi are rarely imported and therefore kind of hard to find.

Planetmacro 06/03/2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

My friend at the wholesaler means well but he can’t tell a haddoni from a mertensii. I gave up trying to get a mertensii from him so when I saw one on DD I bought it. It wasn’t expensive and it is in excellent health albeit a bit on the small size.

Planetmacro 06/03/2019 08:15 PM

Oops! I spooked my percs while taking the video. The mertensii is in a 4" pot. My poor haddoni is still bleached but getting better. At night the female perc sleeps in the mertensii and the male in the haddoni. https://youtu.be/g3rFWqLAB1M

Planetmacro 06/03/2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThRoewer (Post 25593506)
Mertensi are rarely imported and therefore kind of hard to find.

I'd like to know how the collectors get the Merten's and the magnificas off the rocks without damaging the foot. The haddonis are easy to collect because they live in sand. That's probably why haddonis are common in the trade.

Planetmacro 06/03/2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

I only have ONE wholesale connection and when my friend retires I'll have NO connections unless I get a resale number and run a business which I doubt I'll be doing at my age.

The writing's on the wall. Eventually we will not be able to get wild fish. I am very impressed with what Bali Aquarich has accomplished. They've just announced the successful breeding and raising of the Regal Angel, P. diacanthus! Their captive bred angels, tangs, clown triggers, etc. look perfect but not their clowns. There's still something off with they're captive bred clowns although they are probably the best captive bred clowns around. I just prefer natural colors and patterns and don't care much for the "designer" morphs.