Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   150 build (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2113030)

Waddleboy 01/01/2012 03:34 PM

150 build

First off. HAPPY NEW YEAR :celeb3:!

But onto important matters. I am starting a build on a 150 gallon tank with 3/4" glass. The tank could be rimless but i think i am going to leave it as that much water scares me. Dimensions 72x18x28. Plan is for fowlr with closed loop circulation. i am thinking a 55 gallon sump with a refugium in it. Lighting will be t5. I will use a mag 18 as a return.

Sorry i dont have pictures yet and this wont be a super quick build as med school is keeping my slightly busy at the moment but as soon as i get updates i will share.

I am slightly nervous about drilling through 3/4" glass, anyone does this? I am sure there are some out there. I want to drill 1.5 in holes for the overflow and 5 1 " holes for the closed loop.

The overflow will be a small coast to coast on the inside of the tank which connects to a an external overflow to minimize space taken up in the tank. I will run a bean animal design. With the internal overflow should i use teeth or make a slot in the overflow to draw off water? ive read mixed opinions on both

Equipment i have:
Tank
stand
mag 18

Equipment I need (please voice opinion):
Protein skimmer - SRO 3000
lighting 72" t5 with 8 or 12 bulbs still unsure
gfo/carbon - brs dual container do i need this?
ato - jbj controller with aqua lifter pump maybe if i dont go RKL
controller - i dont know if i want one or need one for a fowlr tank. opinions? maybe RKL
100lbs lr to start
2" sand bed tank
5" sand bed refugium
Heaters - 2x 500 watt Finnex titanium
Closed loop pump - panworld 200ps or Panworld 250ps. This is my first closed loop so i really need help with this and choosing the pump i need

I think that is most of it. Its exciting as a just built my 90 about 10 weeks ago so this is exciting to do it again. Advice and opinions always appreciated!

TheFishTeen 01/01/2012 05:14 PM

Great choice on the skimmer. Honestly I think you are overdoing it for a FOWLR, but hey if you can afford it then go ahead. For the closed loop, I highly recommend going with a ReeFlo pump. The Snapper/Dart Hybrid pump would be a great option. The pan world pumps are good but the ReeFlo in my opinion are best. On the lights, you could grow SPS under 12, 72" T5 lamps! Even 8! Thats a lot of light and power. Since this is only FOWLR, cut back on the lights. It'll save you loads on your power bill.

Hope this helps.

Waddleboy 01/01/2012 05:19 PM

when you say im over doing it what do you mean? The lights or the closed loop or both? I guess i want this to remain a fowlr for now with hope of upgrading in the long future so it thought of getting better lights but then new tech will probably be out so i might as well get new lights then.... As for the ReeFlo isnt that a ton of circulation a lot more than the pan world pumps?

TheFishTeen 01/01/2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waddleboy (Post 19690962)
when you say im over doing it what do you mean? The lights or the closed loop or both?

Not the closed loop. I think flow is just as important for the fish as it is for the corals. Lights, yes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waddleboy
I guess i want this to remain a fowlr for now with hope of upgrading in the long future so it thought of getting better lights but then new tech will probably be out so i might as well get new lights then.... As for the ReeFlo isnt that a ton of circulation a lot more than the pan world pumps?

LED technology is moving fast and furiously, so when you decided to do reef, buy yourself the newest model you can. But don't buy an expensive reef light now, I think its a waste of money.

On the ReeFlo, the pump comes standard as a ReeFlo snapper. This will give you 2500GPH. If you decide to go reef, you can convert it (kit included), into a Dart, which will give you 3600GPH.

Waddleboy 01/01/2012 05:30 PM

ya i put leds on my current 90 and love them. They look really nice. Okay and thats good to know and changing the lights will save me money so i can put more into the pumps. Any ideas for good light to use? I dont have a center brace cause the glass is so think so i would need a fixture thats 72" or install a center brace. I guess i could make hanging post for it if did

TheFishTeen 01/01/2012 07:24 PM

Take a look at the Tek fixture by Sunlight Suppy. Only problem is they don't sell a 72" model, so you'll need two smaller fixtures, like a couple of 36 inch 6x39W Sunlight Supply Tek Lights. Like you mentioned, you'll need some sort of support.

TheFishTeen 01/01/2012 07:27 PM

Heres one solution, not sure if it would work or not but it got me thinking so maybe you can try it. Purchase the Tek Light Tank Bracket Kit, put one on the right of one fixture and one on the left of the other and DIY a bracket to hold the two together in the center. Never seen this done but I'm sure its possible.

Waddleboy 01/01/2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFishTeen (Post 19691408)
Heres one solution, not sure if it would work or not but it got me thinking so maybe you can try it. Purchase the Tek Light Tank Bracket Kit, put one on the right of one fixture and one on the left of the other and DIY a bracket to hold the two together in the center. Never seen this done but I'm sure its possible.

The only fear i have with that is that it would buckle in the middle or have the tendency too. Also wouldnt getting to 36" 6 bulbs be the same thing as getting 1 72" 12 bulbs?

TheFishTeen 01/01/2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waddleboy (Post 19691961)
The only fear i have with that is that it would buckle in the middle or have the tendency too. Also wouldnt getting to 36" 6 bulbs be the same thing as getting 1 72" 12 bulbs?

Ya I know what you mean about the buckle. And about the 36" equivalent to 72", Im not sure what you mean. Could you explain?

Waddleboy 01/01/2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFishTeen (Post 19691994)
Ya I know what you mean about the buckle. And about the 36" equivalent to 72", Im not sure what you mean. Could you explain?

Ya when you said this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFishTeen (Post 19691394)
Take a look at the Tek fixture by Sunlight Suppy. Only problem is they don't sell a 72" model, so you'll need two smaller fixtures, like a couple of 36 inch 6x39W Sunlight Supply Tek Lights. Like you mentioned, you'll need some sort of support.

Thats taking two 36" fixtures each with 6x39w for a total of 12x39w bulbs. Wouldnt that be the same thing as getting one 12x39w 72" fixture? Also didnt you say 12 bulbs was over kill haha. For example the light i quickly looked at was this: 8 bulb or 12 bulb

TheFishTeen 01/01/2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waddleboy (Post 19692068)
Ya when you said this:

Thats taking two 36" fixtures each with 6x39w for a total of 12x39w bulbs. Wouldnt that be the same thing as getting one 12x39w 72" fixture? Also didnt you say 12 bulbs was over kill haha. For example the light i quickly looked at was this: 8 bulb or 12 bulb

Nice find on the 8 bulb. That unit looks like a good buy. It basically is two 36" units in one. Take a look: it runs off

(4) 36" T5 HO 39W Actinic / Blue Lamps
(1) 36" T5 HO 39W 10,000K Lamps
(1) 36” T5 HO 39W Purple Lamp
(6) 1W Lunar LED's

So your basically getting two 36" fixtures in one.

Waddleboy 01/05/2012 12:41 AM

possible plan?

My first 3d drawings so sorry if they arent up to snuff yet as i am still learning. This is the general idea for bulk heads and beginning of plumbing along with the external overflow. The internal overflow has a slit in it to allow water in instead of the weir design. Opinions good bad?
The 2 upper bulk heads are returns from the sump. The 5 others are a closed loop with the center being a return to the pump.
Internal Overflow dimensions - 63l x 1w x 5h
External Overflow Dimensions - 20l x 5w x 7h
Holes from internal to external bulk head are 48mm
All bulk heads are 1.5" except closed loop return which is 2"
Front:
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...ankfront-1.jpg
Back:
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...50tankback.jpg

TheFishTeen 01/05/2012 01:31 AM

Nice drawings. Did you do those in SketchUp?

The plan looks good. Since this is fish-only, I wouldn't worry too much about the actual flow patterns.

Waddleboy 01/05/2012 01:34 AM

Yup did a crash course in it today. I agree that flow isn't super important but I'd like to leave the option open to upgrade cause I know I will eventually want too haha

TheFishTeen 01/05/2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waddleboy (Post 19704794)
Yup did a crash course in it today. I agree that flow isn't super important but I'd like to leave the option open to upgrade cause I know I will eventually want too haha

Hey well maybe you could help. Im a bigginer in the whole 3D modeling thing - how do you make a curved 90 degree turn? Like a PVC elbow fitting? I can't seem to figure that part out. I tried to start plumbing the 'office tank' with the line and follow me tool but it didn't look good so its pipeless for now. Could you help?

http://thefishteen.kovstar.com/wp-co...1.46.29-PM.png

http://thefishteen.kovstar.com/wp-co...1.42.11-PM.png

http://thefishteen.kovstar.com/wp-co...1.41.54-PM.png

Waddleboy 01/05/2012 08:25 AM

Ya it's a component someone made. Search for it in components, download it, and use it. They have lots of parts you will need for plumbing.

I like your set up. What are you planning?

ludiNano 01/05/2012 12:07 PM

First off Happy New year waddle. Your equiptment list looks pretty sound, and as FT said lighting is probably over kill for FOWLR. But honestly with the 8 buld or 12 you could grow sps as is. I'd say with the equiptment listed you could be set up for reef as is. Just becare full on fish selection if you go FOWLR cause you know your gonna want to go reef soon... : ) and its easier to stock with reef safe than have to fish out ones that wont'work.

I'd say if your getting a tank with trim ( which is what it sounds like) you should leave the trim on it, they do put it threre for a reason. On the drilling of 3/4'' glass- dude its very easy to drill glass and IMO the thicker the better. Just order the hole saw kit from glass holes, watch there demo video and make sure to go slow and keep the bit wet. My first hole I did one on my QT tank before I did the DT and it was sooo much easier than I expected, getting that first hole out of the way increasses your confidence big time.

As you know, I'm a proponet of the toothless overflow, I was looking for the article I read aboot it, and will keep looking for it. All and all your design looks pretty sound. M0y only suggestion would be to extend the lenth of the external a little on the left side ( viewing it from the back) that way when your drilling the box your not right on the edge. And to concider bringing the internal box down more so the external box won't be visable while viewing the tank. the water will still raise up to the holes leading to the exteral box.

Good luck sir and keep us updated.

Waddleboy 01/05/2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludiNano (Post 19705642)
First off Happy New year waddle. Your equiptment list looks pretty sound, and as FT said lighting is probably over kill for FOWLR. But honestly with the 8 buld or 12 you could grow sps as is. I'd say with the equiptment listed you could be set up for reef as is. Just becare full on fish selection if you go FOWLR cause you know your gonna want to go reef soon... : ) and its easier to stock with reef safe than have to fish out ones that wont'work.

I'd say if your getting a tank with trim ( which is what it sounds like) you should leave the trim on it, they do put it threre for a reason. On the drilling of 3/4'' glass- dude its very easy to drill glass and IMO the thicker the better. Just order the hole saw kit from glass holes, watch there demo video and make sure to go slow and keep the bit wet. My first hole I did one on my QT tank before I did the DT and it was sooo much easier than I expected, getting that first hole out of the way increasses your confidence big time.

As you know, I'm a proponet of the toothless overflow, I was looking for the article I read aboot it, and will keep looking for it. All and all your design looks pretty sound. M0y only suggestion would be to extend the lenth of the external a little on the left side ( viewing it from the back) that way when your drilling the box your not right on the edge. And to concider bringing the internal box down more so the external box won't be visable while viewing the tank. the water will still raise up to the holes leading to the exteral box.

Good luck sir and keep us updated.

Totally agree with drilling. I drilled my 90 but it was only 3/8ths thick so i figure this is double could it be harder but now that it think about it thicker glass is better. And with the external overflow i dont really know how much the dimensions of the pvc pipe in the rendering actually hold to specs. I think its bigger in the rendering than it is in real life. The rendering was more an approximate but definitely something to note. Ill measure the pipes to confirm this so i dont over shoot

TheFishTeen 01/05/2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waddleboy (Post 19705208)
Ya it's a component someone made. Search for it in components, download it, and use it. They have lots of parts you will need for plumbing.

I like your set up. What are you planning?

This isn't my set up. This is just a design template to show people what a custom set up would be like. I haven't designed my set up yet, I want to get the fish room measured out so I can make it to scale.

Waddleboy 01/07/2012 10:43 PM

So i may have fun into a problem i didnt consider. I bought two 500 watt heaters to run in the system. Yes its overkill but it allows for my ability to add on a frag tank and other things. Either way i got these: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...es-heater.html. Now after rereading it, it says i need a controller for them. I was going to use the RKL but when i read the PC4 it says it only handles 15 amps per 4 outlets. Each one of these heaters is 500 watt and it says 4.5amps. Does that mean i cant use them in the pc4 cause it would nearly take all the amps out of the unit? Should i get the expansion socket and use that for only the heaters? Thanks hopefully i can show some progress this week

TheFishTeen 01/07/2012 11:10 PM

Well you could just buy a separate controller...http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ontroller.html

Waddleboy 01/07/2012 11:16 PM

id agree but it says that can only handle 800 watts max so i would need two of them and that gets costly thats why i thought the outlet would be the price of one controller and i could run both?

Waddleboy 01/20/2012 03:58 PM

just got whole bunch of plumbing and goodies in so hopefully monday roles around and ill be able to get some of this done. Question though on the closed loop. For the returns i was just going to use 1.5" pipe and hide them in rock work and sand, but then got worried that things could decide to go crawling in there and and damage/ die in the pump. Should i use loc line, reduce the pvc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

TheFishTeen 01/20/2012 05:22 PM

How many returns? 4 or more I would say reduce to 1" at every outlet. Don't worry about critters, the flow won't allow them to climb in.

Waddleboy 01/20/2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFishTeen (Post 19767918)
How many returns? 4 or more I would say reduce to 1" at every outlet. Don't worry about critters, the flow won't allow them to climb in.

awesome thanks... guess another trip to the plumbing store.... even snails wont be able to go up the flow?