Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Red Sea Max S Series (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2628493)

Chicagoreef2016 03/12/2017 01:12 PM

Red Sea Max S Series

Anyone have any experience with the S series tanks? Already thinking of upgrading my 60 cube after 9 months, and having a turnkey setup that can be a real showpiece is appealing. Wondering if there is room for a doser and reactors in the stand. I am also thinking that for $6k for the 175 gallon with everything (pumps, protein skimmer, etc), the costs are probably pretty close.

Cheers.

JUNBUG361 03/12/2017 01:27 PM

The S series is a nice tank. With A bit diy or not there should be plenty of room inside the stand

vanburen 03/12/2017 01:43 PM

I am about to pull the trigger on the 650 after a lot of research. If you are a very diy picky person you will end up replacing a lot and are better off w reefer. If you want clean look and all together w mostly good stuff it looks solid. I'm going to replace the skimmer but that's about it. All else seems awesome. There's better - but it's all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaimana969 03/12/2017 04:59 PM

Would you recommend a 500 or 650 for a beginner? I was wondering what it was lacking to make it a really good system. Is it worth it in terms of the quality of the parts? Would the protein skimmer need to be changed out?

Nobbygas 03/13/2017 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaimana969 (Post 25000363)
Would you recommend a 500 or 650 for a beginner? I was wondering what it was lacking to make it a really good system. Is it worth it in terms of the quality of the parts? Would the protein skimmer need to be changed out?

I started my S-650 early Dec last year. The stock C-Skim works well, but it does take a lot of time and patience to set it up. It is a good skimmer, however, for me the issue was with the noise it created. It had to go. I think if you look around you'll find most owners have swapped out the skimmer, however, I do believe that now you can ask your retailer to give you a price on the S Series without a Skimmer.

Apart from the skimmer, I love the S-650 !

Optionman 03/13/2017 09:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
i've had my S650 for 1 year and love it. i replaced the stock skimmer and also removed the power plug unit to make room for apex fusion and CA reactor (see picture below).

Chicagoreef2016 03/13/2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optionman (Post 25001272)
i've had my S650 for 1 year and love it. i replaced the stock skimmer and also removed the power plug unit to make room for apex fusion and CA reactor (see picture below).

Gorgeous tank, thanks for sharing. It seems like a no brainer based upon everything you get with it if you don't want to hassle with planning everything yourself and get quality materials, but at $6k it's not a "light" decision. Granted, buying a new 150 gallon and piecing things together probably gets you close to $6k anyway. I like my Hydra 26HD, much more so after I downloaded a lighting profile the Orcus Varuna uploaded on here to mimic the SPS+ that Ecotech puts out for their Radions.

Optionman 03/13/2017 09:28 AM

highly recommend you avoid the c1800 skimmer. it uses water diverted from the main return pump and, besides the noise, it causes the level in the down drain cup to fluctuate and require constant fiddling with the dial on the back of the tank. i went with an ASM G1 skimmer which works great and doesnt affect the sumps water level.

otherwise i love the simplicity and look of the tank/stand/lights.

GreenbriarManor 06/27/2018 12:22 PM

How do you like the closed loops in the back wall? I was thinking if replicating that on a new tank, but didn't know if I'd just be better off with some wavemakers?

J