Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   EcoTech Marine (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=501)
-   -   Reeflink Capabilities to control 2 Vectras (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2654432)

Rick's Reef 10/10/2017 10:12 PM

Reeflink Capabilities to control 2 Vectras

Hello,

I have 2 Vectra M1's setup as dual return pumps from my sump to my 150g aquarium. I have them set so that I get a combined 1200gph flow through my system. Currently, these pumps are both set at a steady state with the same flow rate.

What I would like to do is have these pumps linked in such a way that I always maintain 1200gph flow, but alternate which one. For example, let's say pump A is at 30% and pump B is at 70% and then I would switch them to be pump A at 70% and pump B at 30%. I was considering fabricating gears and a little control arm to move the 2 dials at opposite values with peg stops that I would set for each one.

But then I started looking at the Reeflink and I am hoping it will provide the control that I seek. So I have a question:
- Is there a limit to the number of set points I can add for a Vector pump? I see Youtube videos with people having just 4-5 throughout the day. Could I have 24+ (every 30 minutes oscillate between 30% and 70% on pump A and set pump B the opposite)?

- Can I count on the timing to be precisely synchronized? I.e. if I set at 9:01am on pump A and 9:01am on pump B, is the timer controlled by the Reeflink and instant to both pumps (as opposed to syncing a wireless driver that has its own clock that might be off a couple of seconds from the other driver)?

- Can Vectra drivers be set to Master/Slave so that I can control one and the other will do the opposite? (As I can with my Vortechs now...I think I already know the answer to this one is no).

Any other recommendations? It is important to keep the total flow through the aquarium constant even as A and B are adjusting because I have my overflow ball valves setup to be ultra-silent with a BeanAnimal return.

Thanks,
Rick

Thanks,
Rick

Rick's Reef 10/10/2017 10:14 PM

Weird - I just posted this but it won't let me edit to remove the duplicate signature. Oh well, I guess double thanks to anyone who responds ;).
Rick

mfinn 10/11/2017 07:46 AM

Why in the world would you do that?
Set a speed on the pump and leave it be.
Once the overflow is dialed in, you change the pump flow and it's going to constantly be changing the flow through it and noise level.

Rick's Reef 10/11/2017 09:20 AM

Thank you for your response mfinn. I am not sure what you mean by "the pump".

There are 2 pumps. Yes I want constant flow through the tank so that there is not a change of height in the overflow box, noise, etc. As to why would I want to do this, the 2 pumps are on opposite sides of the tank and I am looking to change the flow through the tank on a regular basis. As I have 2 returns, I wish to take advantage of them to add more random flow. I can achieve this manually, by the way. I know exactly on the dials where 30/70% are on each and I can turn both dials manually at the same time and have no change in total flow but change the current flow in the tank. By the way, I did this in a prior tank with 1 Pump, 2 returns and a Tee-valve rotated with a motor to mix things up. Manually with 2 pumps maintains a perfectly constant flow...but it is manual.

I am trying to understand before I drop $100 on a reeflink whether it can accomplish the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfinn 10/11/2017 10:04 AM

I still don't see why you would use return pumps to change up the flow patterns in the tank when there are several different styles of powerhead/wave makers on the market, and the always useful closed loops.
But I look for simple ways to do things.
If I were you, I would call ETM and get specific answers to direct questions.

Good luck.

ca1ore 10/11/2017 03:54 PM

Not sure if the same vortech modes are available for the Vectra, but perhaps you can set one to anti-synch the other. Even if you can, not sure the two will be precise enough to exactly maintain a fixed total flow.

MarkW64 02/03/2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick's Reef (Post 25239809)
Hello,

I have 2 Vectra M1's setup as dual return pumps from my sump to my 150g aquarium. I have them set so that I get a combined 1200gph flow through my system. Currently, these pumps are both set at a steady state with the same flow rate.

What I would like to do is have these pumps linked in such a way that I always maintain 1200gph flow, but alternate which one. For example, let's say pump A is at 30% and pump B is at 70% and then I would switch them to be pump A at 70% and pump B at 30%. I was considering fabricating gears and a little control arm to move the 2 dials at opposite values with peg stops that I would set for each one.

But then I started looking at the Reeflink and I am hoping it will provide the control that I seek. So I have a question:
- Is there a limit to the number of set points I can add for a Vector pump? I see Youtube videos with people having just 4-5 throughout the day. Could I have 24+ (every 30 minutes oscillate between 30% and 70% on pump A and set pump B the opposite)?

- Can I count on the timing to be precisely synchronized? I.e. if I set at 9:01am on pump A and 9:01am on pump B, is the timer controlled by the Reeflink and instant to both pumps (as opposed to syncing a wireless driver that has its own clock that might be off a couple of seconds from the other driver)?

- Can Vectra drivers be set to Master/Slave so that I can control one and the other will do the opposite? (As I can with my Vortechs now...I think I already know the answer to this one is no).

Any other recommendations? It is important to keep the total flow through the aquarium constant even as A and B are adjusting because I have my overflow ball valves setup to be ultra-silent with a BeanAnimal return.

I wish I'd seen this when you posted several months ago. I'm very curious what you figured out -- I'm planning to do pretty much the same thing. About 2.5 years ago Ecotech told me I could theoretically do it with two Vectras and a Reeflink. I want to alternate every six hours which pump is providing most of the flow, but maintain constant flow through my bean animal. I have the equipment, just now getting around to setting it up. Is it working for you?