Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Disease Treatment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Question on Ich/Fish Diseases From non-fish additions (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2660666)

Joshsmit56001 12/07/2017 01:31 PM

Question on Ich/Fish Diseases From non-fish additions

I was thinking about Ich today and a lot of the stuff I read stated rock/corals can bring ich into the tank if a cyst is attached somehow. Does this mean that any non-fish addition could lead to Ich in the main display tank if the new addition is not quarantined to minimum of 72 days (disease fallow period needed)? This is the only way I could see a tank being completely free of Ich.

If this is so, how do you quarantine a coral for 72 days without lighting and proper water movement? You would basically need a full secondary tank setup, be it smaller perhaps, that has the same lighting/water movement. That gets spendy.

Thanks,
JS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitchrapp 12/07/2017 05:59 PM

Yes, 72 days in a fishless system for rocks, snails, corals, etc.

For corals, I do have a secondary setup (a 20g long) with an AI Prime and MP10, which doubles as a frag tank.

It's all about level of risk you are willing to take. With snails, I usually put them in a 5 or 10 g qt tank for a week or so before going into the DT. For corals, I usually cut off the frag plug, dip, then put it into the coral QT for a month or so.

Joshsmit56001 12/07/2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchrapp (Post 25296609)
Yes, 72 days in a fishless system for rocks, snails, corals, etc.

For corals, I do have a secondary setup (a 20g long) with an AI Prime and MP10, which doubles as a frag tank.

It's all about level of risk you are willing to take. With snails, I usually put them in a 5 or 10 g qt tank for a week or so before going into the DT. For corals, I usually cut off the frag plug, dip, then put it into the coral QT for a month or so.

When a coral comes in for you, how long do you quarantine? It seems to me if you don’t quarantine non-fish for 72 days, you still have the chance of acquiring Ich.

sde1500 12/07/2017 06:11 PM

I can't be bothered. That's way to overboard in my opinion. Chances are small.

Joshsmit56001 12/07/2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sde1500 (Post 25296622)
I can't be bothered. That's way to overboard in my opinion. Chances are small.

Sometimes my mind goes off on its own and that’s where I end up. Lol

Smokey Stover 12/07/2017 07:05 PM

I see fish in coral tanks at LFS all the time, And then when I see one scratching/rubbing, I don't buy any or if I do (cheap ones) it goes in a coral QT for the duration. Most live some have not.

Jdub968 12/07/2017 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a chart for ya

Dmorty217 12/08/2017 01:52 PM

Ich cysts won't attach to slugs and cucumbers, the free swimming stage can be found in the water though. Same goes for the coral, plugs or rock they arrive on can harbor cysts though.

WLachnit 12/08/2017 02:45 PM

I also have a 20g long setup for corals. They and any invert which has a hard surface where cysts can encyst, gets the full fallow period. If it’s a healthy frag with only live tissue, I cut off the base, dip and after a week or so, it goes into my display.