Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Fish Breeding Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Clownfish Eggs Missing (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618520)

richie reef 01/11/2017 12:25 PM

Clownfish Eggs Missing

I just noticed 2 days ago my clown pair had laid eggs on a rock next to the anemone.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...76bd765aec.jpg

The next day the anemone had stretch out over top of the rock were the eggs were laid. I didn't think much about this until later last night I was cleaning up my tank and I went to move the anemone back to check on the eggs but they were gone.

After doing some searches on google I though might be the bristle worms in my tank ate the eggs. I checked earlier this morning while all the lights out with a flashlight and noticed my tank had more than I realized count of bristle worms crawling around. I did see a few under the rock the eggs where laid.

Does anyone have any word of advice or helpful thoughts to this one? This is fist time I've noticed my clowns reproducing however, they might of done this before I didn't notice. My female clown is approximately 8 years old and male is around 3.

Thanks in advance!

ginpang 01/11/2017 08:23 PM

Clownfish Eggs Missing

So many possibilities... Take your pick.
Shrimps love clownfish eggs , so do hermits, crabs,some urchins, some varieties of snails ( nassarius, conch or whelks) along with other critters.
I' m sure bristle worms will eat pretty anything that's not algae.
Other fish in the tank might be the culprits , as well as the parent fish themselves if they are stressed or inexperienced...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

richie reef 01/12/2017 12:31 AM

Is there anything I can do to prevent the eggs from getting eaten. I'm going to hope they have more eggs in a couple weeks.

Do you have any advise?

ginpang 01/12/2017 01:34 PM

I don't have a magical answer for the current situation they're in....
The best way is to separate the pair in a different tank without any other critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denbf58 01/22/2017 07:40 AM

are sure they are gone as the eggs develop they change form orange to grey brown to silver

richie reef 01/22/2017 09:17 AM

Definitely gone. I used a flashlight to verify I was not just missing the change in color.

How many days in between do they lay the eggs? It has been 14 days today and I haven't found any new eggs.

Denbf58 01/28/2017 06:57 AM

my pair lay every 7 days when the tank temp is up to 80. it also has to do with diet when it is near the time I want them to breed I start feeding twice a day with vitamins

ginpang 01/30/2017 07:46 PM

Mine usually go from 2 to 3 weeks apart and usually hatch on day eight or nine.
@denbf58 do they lay new eggs even though they're tending to some already?! Or are the eggs eaten?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denbf58 02/02/2017 06:53 PM

i was wrong when i said 7 days it is 14 days eggs hatch on day 6-7 then 7days later she will lay again

Denbf58 02/02/2017 06:56 PM

are they staying in the same area sometimes will move to a different spot if something happened to the eggs

D-Nak 02/03/2017 10:43 AM

If you're serious about trying to raise the babies, to get the best results, you'll need to separate the parents into their own tank. If they remain in the DT, you can use a larval trap to catch the fry on hatch night. However, if you have other fish in the tank (such as cardinals, which have very good night vision) they will quickly eat the newborns, and a minimal amount will actually be caught in the trap.

Keep in mind that most clownfish pairs that are comfortable and established will spawn. Just make sure you're up to the challenge of raising the babies.

richie reef 02/09/2017 10:52 PM

It looks like they stopped spawning. I haven't seen any new eggs in the past 2 weeks. What kind of food do you feed and how far do you stretch out the feedings, vitamins and etc?

I would like to hear what everyone does when they are spawning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D-Nak 02/10/2017 02:24 AM

Pick up some LRS Fertility Frenzy. Prior to trying it I thought it was just a lot of hype. But after feeding it to my pairs their clutches immediately got larger. I feed twice a day.