Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nano Reefs (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   What kind of fish for a 30g nano? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2655392)

JustAClownFish 10/19/2017 08:09 PM

What kind of fish for a 30g nano?

Hey, folks, I'm going to get my nano tomorrow and wanted to start looking into what type of fish I can have in a 30g nano and how many. I was thinking two black Ocellaries or two Maroons 2 peppermint shrimps, one goby (I'm not sure which one yet) and some mini brittle stars that can dwell in the substrate. Is that too much?

ali1 10/19/2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAClownFish (Post 25248307)
Hey, folks, I'm going to get my nano tomorrow and wanted to start looking into what type of fish I can have in a 30g nano and how many. I was thinking two black Ocellaries or two Maroons 2 peppermint shrimps, one goby (I'm not sure which one yet) and some mini brittle stars that can dwell in the substrate. Is that too much?

All good choices. Look into below. Starfish dont do well in new tanks. I would hold off on starfish until tank matures~ 2yrs

Pajama Cardinalfish
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Neon Goby
Coral or Crown Goby
Dartfish or Firefish Goby
Shrimp Goby
Royal Gramma
Blue Chromis

JustAClownFish 10/19/2017 09:04 PM

Well the thing is I wanted to get live sand from the Gulf of Mexico and this sand has all kinds of critters in it already.

http://www.gulfliverock.com/live-sand.html

I also was thinking of getting some of their Coraline life rock. This should kick-start the cycle right away.

Fiver 10/19/2017 10:00 PM

I got live rock and sand from TBS and think brittle and serpent stars are pretty hardy. You get them as part of the second part of your TBS package.

I don't think "true" starfish are ever good for the home aquarium. They slowly die.

Other good fish additions are a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, a lawnmower blenny or an orchid dottyback.

Good luck.

JustAClownFish 10/19/2017 10:27 PM

Let's say you are setting up a 55 gallon reef tank. The recipe calls for:
110 pounds of live rock: $550.00
55 pounds of live sand: $110.00
55 blue leg hermits: $82.50
28 Astrea snails: $42.00
2 serpent stars: $19.90
2 tiger tail cucumbers: $19.90
2 Peppermint shrimp: $19.90
8 Shipping Boxes: $64.00

That is from the TBS homepage.

For a 30g tank they would send me 30 hermit crabs :D WAY too many critters.

Ranchhand02 10/20/2017 12:28 PM

Do you think there will be an issue with four clowns in that size of tank?

Pandagobyguy 10/21/2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranchhand02 (Post 25248844)

Clownfish should be in very large groups (harems) or kept in pairs... otherwise too much aggression

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

thaitopher 10/21/2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranchhand02 (Post 25248844)

Way too many clowns for that small of a tank. I would only get two or three fish max.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nanosteve309 11/20/2017 02:41 PM

Guys, in the first post he said 2 black Ocellaries OR 2 Maroons.

Don't think he is trying to put in 4 clownfish lol

Pandagobyguy 11/21/2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanosteve309 (Post 25279998)
Guys, in the first post he said 2 black Ocellaries OR 2 Maroons.

Don't think he is trying to put in 4 clownfish lol

Ah your right. Saw the comment about four and thought it was op.

michelangelo620 11/21/2017 05:27 PM

Get a mix and match clownfish pair, some small hermits, different types of snails, peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, and a jawfish. Need a good mix of cleaners so they can help with everything, and I'd go 3 or 4 fish. I have a 28 JBJ.

NS Mike D 11/28/2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ali1 (Post 25248349)
All good choices. Look into below. Starfish dont do well in new tanks. I would hold off on starfish until tank matures~ 2yrs

Pajama Cardinalfish
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Neon Goby
Coral or Crown Goby
Dartfish or Firefish Goby
Shrimp Goby
Royal Gramma
Blue Chromis

coral beauty can be done, and is a great looking fish. But, IME, they are swimmers and need a bigger tank as their small size is deceiving compared to their desire to swim.

PJ Cardinal are great in a nano
Watchman goby should park himself under a rock facing the tank top great you in the morning and when you get back home.

ocerlaris clowns, IMO, get overlooked, but for the price, ease of care, peaceful manner and their waving of bright orange.white, IMO, are excellent choice. I get that they are common = boring, but I disagree.

NS Mike D 11/28/2017 08:12 AM

If I were to do it again, I would skip the hermits. IMO, snails are better workers and the hermits are programmed to do ethnic cleansing when it comes to snails.

add your clean up crew slowly to make sure their is enough detritus and algae to feed them.

I am a fan of worms for CUC. They are like the maid who leaves the mint on the pillow. You only see them by accident, but they do their job everyday.

sleepingdeep 11/28/2017 11:21 AM

id highly recommend a tailspot blenny. easily my favorite fish i've owned. so much personality in such a tiny body.

BlueMarlin2 12/03/2017 10:55 PM

If you get a goby be sure to have your rock on the bottom of The tank.
Very destructive to rock work if not anchored down.

N8C 12/05/2017 03:21 PM

fwiw - in my 33 gal cube-ish tank I have 2 ocellaris, and a lawnmower blenny. I won't be adding any more fish for a tank this size.

I used 75lbs dry base rock from reefcleaners.. It is very 'fluffy' / very porous. 20lbs of sand. For a CUC I have 5 mixed snails and 10 very small blue leg hermits.

Good luck / have fun.

steveg1980 12/14/2017 02:43 PM

Also looking at fish for a similar sized tank. Rather than a Coral Beauty, would a wrasse be a good candidate? Any suggestions for a particular one?

steveg1980 12/14/2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NS Mike D (Post 25286911)
If I were to do it again, I would skip the hermits. IMO, snails are better workers and the hermits are programmed to do ethnic cleansing when it comes to snails.

add your clean up crew slowly to make sure their is enough detritus and algae to feed them.

I am a fan of worms for CUC. They are like the maid who leaves the mint on the pillow. You only see them by accident, but they do their job everyday.

What kind of worms would you suggest? And do all hermits go after the snails? I've heard that the red-legged hermits are more aggressive, but that blue-legged hermits shouldn't mess with the snails as much.

Psychomantix 12/14/2017 09:16 PM

Hermits don't have shells, they steal it from others. When a hermit outgrow his, he will go hunting for a bigger one, and will usually kill a hermit or snail to get it unless you have lots of empty shells lying around.