Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Rinsing sand (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2644334)

Ab129 07/14/2017 01:56 PM

Rinsing sand

Using the Carib sea sugar sized dry sand.
I've been reading past threads on rinsing and the consensus is to put the sand in a 5 gal container and rinse with a garden hose a couple times, possibly doing a final rinse with rodi.
But do I just run the water into the bucket on top of the sand?
Do I have to agitate it?
Are the finer particles going to just float to the surface where They can pour off with the water as it overflows the bucket?
Sorry, I know I ask a lot of questions but would like to do things right.
Thanks for any replies!

mcgyvr 07/14/2017 01:57 PM

yes
yes
yes

Nerayan 07/14/2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab129 (Post 25148798)
Using the Carib sea sugar sized dry sand.
I've been reading past threads on rinsing and the consensus is to put the sand in a 5 gal container and rinse with a garden hose a couple times, possibly doing a final rinse with rodi.
But do I just run the water into the bucket on top of the sand?
Do I have to agitate it?
Are the finer particles going to just float to the surface where They can pour off with the water as it overflows the bucket?
Sorry, I know I ask a lot of questions but would like to do things right.
Thanks for any replies!

Just shove the hose in there and wait until the water turns clear. You can agitate the sand to get all the cloudiness to rise. Some people rinse with RO and some say no need. If you have RO water at hand why not use it.

I didn't use RODI water after I rinsed mine and my tank was fine. No algae as I also kept my lights off.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ab129 07/14/2017 04:24 PM

So I guess I should shove the hose down through the sand to the bottom and stir it up with a piece of pvc and I should be good?

Ron Reefman 07/14/2017 04:27 PM

I found it much easier to push the hose in and 'swish' the sand around with my other hand. That way I found some bigger bits of shell and rock I didn't want in the sand. Just do it until the water flowing out of the bucket runs clear.

Nerayan 07/14/2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab129 (Post 25148944)
So I guess I should shove the hose down through the sand to the bottom and stir it up with a piece of pvc and I should be good?

Stir it up at first. Then leave the hose at the bottom and let the water run clear/clean. You'll see the difference as all the cloudy stuff floats out.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

ca1ore 07/15/2017 08:47 PM

The amount of water left in the sand is negligible; really no need to waste RODI on this task.

billdogg 07/16/2017 07:13 AM

IME, you need to rinse it very well to avoid clouding the tank for days afterwards. Tap water is just fine for this.

Here's how I do it:

I use the utility sink in my fish room. I made a standpipe for it that sticks up about 6" from the drain. Put your sand, a few pounds at a time, in a clean 5g bucket. Place bucket in the sink and start the water running. Stir the sand continuously - I use a 4" plastic putty knife. Allow the water to overflow the bucket into the sink. Don't worry about any sand that might go over the top too - the standpipe allows it to settle out while at the same time allowing the fines (dust) to go down the drain. When the water in the bucket runs clear, you are done with the first batch. Pour as much water out of the bucket as you can and then remove the sand to another bucket (the putty knife, again, works well for this). Repeat the process until all your sand has been cleaned. You will have some sand (a lot?) in the sink. Carefully remove the standpipe and allow the water to drain while trapping the sand in a corner and then transfer that sand to the final bucket as well.

Aren't you glad all that sand didn't go down the drain? Not only is it a waste of money, so is the call to the plumber for the clogged drain! (don't ask how I know this, just take my word for it)

If you are really concerned, a final rinse in RODI can be done - I've never seen the point, myself.

C.Eymann 07/16/2017 07:45 AM

While the 5 gallon bucket swishing works great, get a cheapo pillow case, I feel it works far better.

Clowning_Around 07/17/2017 05:46 PM

I used one of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce...36WF/202061360 it helped sled the process up but not required

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk