Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Fish Breeding Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Bali picasso x ORA picasso breeding (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2546189)

gioNVA 12/18/2015 03:41 PM

Bali picasso x ORA picasso breeding

I am going to try raising a batch from this pair. They laid eggs today 12/18 at 4PM so I am going to use this thread to track progress. Here's a video of the mom and dad. Mom is a Bali Aq Picasso and dad is an ORA picasso.

For my breeding setup, it's just a standard 10g tank, air pump, and heater. I have 2 rotifer cultures going and have some Reed Rotigreen Omega. I also have a batch of Doni/Onyx picassos going in a growout tank. The growout system is just a 20g tank, 40g sump with some live rock, skimmer, andsome Seachem Matrix biomedia. I will be expanding that with another 20g tank but really don't have a lot of space in the house for a full blown breeding setup.

gar732 12/21/2015 01:03 AM

Beautiful pair of clowns you have there. I had a pair of doni picassos breeding for some time but they stoped after I moved, which was expected, then I lost my female, which was not expected. Of my 3 breeding pairs the picassos were my favorite. It was always exciting to see the patterns develop on the baby clowns. Can't wait to see what you end up with, following along.

gioNVA 12/21/2015 10:57 AM

Thanks @gar732! This is the second time they laid eggs so they are getting better. They ate most of the eggs again but there are still about 20 or so eggs remaining.

pilot.darren 01/15/2016 09:55 AM

stunning

duyhuynh 01/22/2016 12:58 PM

Hard work and enjoyment are about to come. Good luck.

gar732 02/13/2016 02:10 AM

Any updates? Can't wait to see what the offspring look like.

mountainraised 02/18/2016 01:49 PM

Your re leaving me on the edge of my seat with these! Can't wait tool see what the fry mature to.

gioNVA 02/18/2016 01:53 PM

Sorry but I haven't been able to get a big hatch raised. They kept eating the first 3 batches of eggs but was able to save 5 babies. The 5 are at around 18 days old now and they are amazing so far. They are supposed to lay eggs again tomorrow so I will hope to get that batch raised.

shifty51008 02/19/2016 03:10 AM

If the parents are eating the eggs it is usually a sign they are not geting enough protein in their diet.

gioNVA 02/24/2016 01:45 PM

I hope that is not the case. These guys eat better than I do. They get PE mysis, LRS fertility frenzy, rods food, PE calanus, cyclopeeze, flake and hikari pellets. I basically throw them food every time I'm in front of the tank and they gobble them up. More likely it is because they are young and are learning. The last 2 hatches have been good but I fell asleep on the last one and wasn't able to transfer the pot. Waiting on the next one.

gioNVA 03/08/2016 10:55 AM

A little bit of good news. I have a small hatch of about 30 babies that will be at 7 days old today. I'm expecting them to hit meta stage tonight. The mom/dad also laid a large nest of eggs 2 days ago. It's about triple the amount of their normal eggs so they are getting better.

gar732 03/09/2016 07:18 PM

Nice! sounds like they are getting the hang of things quickly. Was it a small clutch or did you not get a good hatch out?

solidcore 03/13/2016 10:11 AM

good luck!

gioNVA 03/13/2016 11:08 PM

Thanks! It was a little bit of both. it was a small clutch and had about 45 hatch that night. I pulled the pot and didnt wait for the rest to hatch since i wasnt sure if the rest was going to hatch or just foul the water. I havent had any losses with the ones that hatched which is great. They are 10 days old now.

gioNVA 03/14/2016 08:54 AM

So last night was also supposed to be hatch night. Eggs are at 9 days and only 25 or so hatched. This time, I am leaving the pot and hoping that the rest will hatch.

gioNVA 03/15/2016 10:49 AM

The rest hatched last night. Not really a huge clutch compared to my onyx but still at least 100 there.

michellejy 03/31/2016 11:04 AM

The parents are gorgeous. I am following to see how the offspring turn out.

gioNVA 04/04/2016 02:59 PM

Thank you! They are at day 19 and have some their first stripes on the head. These seem to be developing slower than my doni's reef pair. On the doni's pair, the helmet patterns show up as early as 13 days. I have anywhere 60-70 babies from this batch so I'm hoping they get really nice shape and coloration with no deformities.

ZoeyLove 04/08/2016 08:37 AM

Would love to see another video - a close-up, if possible, to see what the babies really look like. Very exciting!. :lolspin:

gioNVA 04/11/2016 03:15 PM

Thank you. I will try to post something soon. The babies have tiny head stripes so far.

Westcoastindia 04/12/2016 01:48 PM

Hi,
How long does it take for different crossbred clowns to reach saleable size?
What would be optimum saleable size?
I have read that ocellaris they grow out to slow.
Could y'all shed more light on growth period of different clown species especially crossbreds.

Thanks.

D-Nak 04/20/2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westcoastindia (Post 24462964)
Hi,
How long does it take for different crossbred clowns to reach saleable size?
What would be optimum saleable size?
I have read that ocellaris they grow out to slow.
Could y'all shed more light on growth period of different clown species especially crossbreds.

Thanks.

Quick answers:

These are not cross-bred. The are both percula clowns.

Optimum saleable size depends on the type of clown. For example. Onyx clowns take a long time to color up, therefore their saleable size is larger.

Ocellaris grow fast compared to percula.

Growth period ranges dramatically bason ed different variables such as tank conditions and how much food they are fed. Some people like to feed a lot, and the babies get big quick, but if not careful many of the babies have defects due to poor water quality typically a result of the extra feeding. Flared gills is an example of these defects.

ZoeyLove 04/27/2016 09:30 AM

Can I mix types of clownfish?

I have two questions, actually.

I had a pair of ocellaris clownfish, and one recently died. Do I need to pair my clownfish with another ocellaris, or can I get a Darwin or a Wyoming White?

Second question... We were thinking of getting another tank, dedicated to just clownfish. Can we buy several different types and put them all together in one tank? If so, do I need to buy them in pairs - two ocellaris, two darwins, etc.?

ZoeyLove 04/27/2016 09:30 AM

I think I posted in the wrong place. Sorry.

Halo_003 04/27/2016 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoeyLove (Post 24491839)
I have two questions, actually.

I had a pair of ocellaris clownfish, and one recently died. Do I need to pair my clownfish with another ocellaris, or can I get a Darwin or a Wyoming White?

Second question... We were thinking of getting another tank, dedicated to just clownfish. Can we buy several different types and put them all together in one tank? If so, do I need to buy them in pairs - two ocellaris, two darwins, etc.?

To answer...

1. If you want to breed I would stick to Occ., but you can certainly do different Occ. designer breeds such as a naked and a snowflake. Just look up the designer type you want and then see if it's an Occ. Personally I would stick to the same species regardless.

2. Look up the BRS Clown Harem tank, the thread on here called 27 clowns in 27 months by Mobert, and check out the book Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson. It is doable but basically you will want one batch of the same type of clowns added all at once, ie one batch of Occ. misbars. You should pretty much never have two pairs in the same tank. Some people have made it work but they are the 1%.