Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tunze (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   6105 noise help (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643415)

Wiskey 07/06/2017 08:13 PM

6105 noise help

Hello!

Back on 4/20/2017 I installed a new Tunze 6105 in my tank to replace a smaller nano Tunze controllable pump for more flow. It vibrated some but I didn't worry about that because I know they often do until they break in.

Now, more than 2 months later it is still making an audiable hum that I can clearly hear over the TV from 15 feet away and this is running at only 45% (controlled by an Apex). It's fairly quiet at 30% (lowest setting it's supposed to run at) but it can be clearly heard through walls, over the TV, and the air conditioner on 100%.

My other Tunze 6105 that I've had for about 2 years is dead silent at 95% with the 18V chip and has been since the first month of operation. My old 6100's were too.

What can I do? I've tried everything to clean it with no effect but it seems like the impeller might be out of balance.

Thank you,
Whiskey

rvitko 07/07/2017 08:36 AM

The propeller assembly is likely out of balance, it is the only moving part, outside of some direct hard surface contact (feet missing from magnet, side of pump up against the tank wall, cable reverberating against a reflector) this is really the only possible cause, if you PM me your address and purchase info I will send a propeller.

Wiskey 07/07/2017 09:39 AM

You are awesome Rodger! A PM is on it's way!

I did double check all the rubber feet, the pump is more than an inch away from any rock or glass, and I have the cord suspended by rubber band in the hood because if it hits the tank or hood the vibration noise is worse.

With my other pump of course it doesn't matter where the cord lays, it's still silent.

Thank you!
Whiskey

five.five-six 02/14/2018 12:58 AM

I have older, probably 2-3 year old 6105’s. Just cleaned them vingar bath a week ago and they are making noise. One more than the other. Are there bushings I can replace too or is it just the props? It’s not that it’s loud, it’s just not the dead silent that I have grown accustomed to with tunze.

rvitko 02/14/2018 09:30 AM

It might be just air in the pumps, if so 2-3 days and it should be gone. Bushing 3005.740 can be replaced, this can be compressed or worn and you will need a pick tool/ o-ring removal tool to hook it from the bottom of the shaft and pull it out. In some cases if the pump was really dirty with fine sand and calcium deposits it can grind the inner hole in the impeller magnet into an ellipse and that will the wobble when clean and make noise.