Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Large Reef Tanks (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   Avandss 265 Montreal Build (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2334713)

avandss 09/23/2013 01:04 PM

Avandss 265 Montreal Build

Ok Guys, here we go

After 15 years of fresh water tanks (planted discus mostly) I have crossed over to the dark side…

I have absolutely zero experience in reef tanks but I have over 1000 hours clocked in reading Reefcentral, and I must say this is one of the reasons I decided to start my own tank

My build is 100% inspired by Biggars Monterey marinland build
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2099426

I will post pics of the build and will need all the help in the world, my goal for this build is extremely high tech

My tools , 20-30k budget, all the time in the world, I am extremely handy and very good at doing research (a little ocd…)

However I will need all the help in the world from you guys! i want to take my time (up to one year) to do things perfectly, I intent to get help/confirmation of every move for the first few months from you guys! :)

avandss 09/23/2013 01:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Build Pics

avandss 09/23/2013 01:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Build Pics 2

avandss 09/23/2013 01:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Build Pics 3

avandss 09/23/2013 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the network cable is where the ip camera will be installed (24h feed) i will also install one in my sump section

ERivera65 09/23/2013 02:17 PM

Pretty bad a**! Looks amazing

webersole 09/23/2013 02:19 PM

Like! Tagging along.

leveldrummer 09/23/2013 02:37 PM

20-30k budget? wow, this better be a nice setup...

looks like your certainly on the right path!

Scythanith 09/23/2013 02:52 PM

Looks great! Do you have an equipment list in mind?

avandss 09/23/2013 03:43 PM

Thanks guys!

i am actually putting together my equipment list, should be up shortly

avandss 09/23/2013 04:53 PM

Display Tank ;265dd marineland
Sump; 75g or 90g (tbd)
Lighting; rapid led custom build
Controller; (full apex kit)
AWC; Genesis renew pro
Ro/di; 5 stage brs system 75gpd
2x reservoir tank 40g each (rodi and saltwater storage)
2x quarantine tank 20g
1x emergency tank 20g
1x frag tank 20g with rapid led onyx lighting
Skimmer; SRO-3000INT or pro-sss-dc3
Calcium and other reactors to be discussed
Return pump tbd
Water movement sea swirls & tunze combo
Heater tbd
This is the basic basic list that will probably change 4 times

first target is the lighting from rapid led, i need to figure out exactly what i need

back to my research!

avandss 09/23/2013 05:00 PM

i must say something that really sucks, montreal's non-existent reef community!! i cant turn to anyone for help, we dont even have any clubs, nothing! in other words i cant make any reef buddies! hahah

this is not normal!

dave.m 09/23/2013 05:39 PM

Does the hood open somehow? How will you access the front of the tank, especially when you need to get at the bottom front of the tank?

Dave.M

avandss 09/23/2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave.m (Post 21928725)
Does the hood open somehow? How will you access the front of the tank, especially when you need to get at the bottom front of the tank?

Dave.M

i have full access from the back, none from the front, having aquariums all my life my wife absolutely did not want front access, she knew somehow i would get everything wet and ruin stuff!

i will build a some kind of high step and i figured i could cut a piece of plywood and cover half the tank so i could support my self on the tank itself

honestly i have no idea, you guys think this will be a huge problem?

dave.m 09/23/2013 06:01 PM

You didn't give tank dimensions, but reaching the front bottom of a 265g from the top back is probably longer than most people's arms; even beyond most orangutans' arms. You can get long tools to reach - clumsily - but access from both sides will save you a lot of grief later on. Now is the time to reconsider before you start filling the tank. If spillage is a concern get some drop-cloths.

Dave.M

avandss 09/23/2013 06:12 PM

my stand is 40high, tank height is 30hx24dx84l

i cant argue with my wife, she almost says yes to everything from my car choice to tank size!

i hope i wont regret this

Scottcrafts 09/23/2013 06:46 PM

wow that is going to be so nice, i can't wait till i can get a quarter of that budget for a build.. will def keep looking back and looking for updates.

ca1ore 09/23/2013 08:59 PM

Got to give yourself access from the front. You will regret it BIG TIME if you do not. FWIW, the Marineland 265, at 24 inches front to back, is not part of their DD line. All the DD tanks are 36 inches deep. 265 is an awesome tank though, just ordered one myself.

$20-30K is likely far more than you will need, even in $CN :). Unless, of course, you plan to have a pair of Peppermint angels - then it's not enough.

avandss 09/23/2013 09:58 PM

AHH! i did not know that! makes perfect sense! how can i change the thread title?

one thing i have learned in life is that every project cost 2-3 times what you expect to pay, specially if i am not limiting what i need.... so i made sure my budget is more then enough

as for front access..... this will suck. i feel it already

ca1ore 09/23/2013 10:18 PM

Well, the good news is that magnetic glass cleaners have made front access a bit less important, so it is what it is. Integration of the tank into the cabinet/wall looks really nice BTW.

Biggar 09/24/2013 04:48 AM

Great work. I hope you can convince wife to make front access.

Just the ability to feed the fish right out of your hand as you look at them face to face,makes it worth it.

It will be possible, but will have some limitations and moments of frustration. Nice build

Scythanith 09/24/2013 07:35 AM

I was convinced by my LFS to put front access in as well Link. My tank is 36" front to back. Aside from coral placement, he said feeding the fish from to front every once and a while will make the fish more interactive when people come to the front of the tank.

I love the huge reliefs you have in your stand! It's so refreshing to see a negative space in a "sump" area. That's a unique design feature!

Scythanith 09/24/2013 07:36 AM

On a side note, nice Pike :)

derek.reef 09/24/2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avandss (Post 21928589)
i must say something that really sucks, montreal's non-existent reef community!! i cant turn to anyone for help, we dont even have any clubs, nothing! in other words i cant make any reef buddies! hahah

this is not normal!

fellow Montrealer here. Been through discus, arowana, motoro rays, and have been reefing for 5 years now. don't be shy to PM anytime

Derek

avandss 09/24/2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 21930022)
I was convinced by my LFS to put front access in as well Link. My tank is 36" front to back. Aside from coral placement, he said feeding the fish from to front every once and a while will make the fish more interactive when people come to the front of the tank.

I love the huge reliefs you have in your stand! It's so refreshing to see a negative space in a "sump" area. That's a unique design feature!

So after speaking to the wife.... its not going to happen.. again i will drop it since i really do have the perfect wife in every other way!

i really wanted the display tank to have a little library on the bottom part to really give it that "built in" look, thats why the front lip is there.

btw your build is insane.... i love the snake section!!!!!!!