Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Best source of pods? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2673591)

allendehl 04/14/2018 08:23 AM

Best source of pods?

Hello folks?

Want to get a mandarin and/or other dragonettes in my tank but want to give the pods a head start. I do not have a fudge.

What source you recommend for pods and how much of a head start should I give them to help them become sustainable?

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Left Coast DJ 04/14/2018 09:16 AM

For long-term sustainability, would you consider a HOB Fuge like a CPR?

For online places, consider Algaebarn.com to get you started.

LeJeune981 04/14/2018 09:40 AM

I Go through a place called "pod your reef"
Www.podyourreef.com

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Joe0813 04/14/2018 04:35 PM

Algaebarn

homer1475 04/14/2018 11:14 PM

I've ordered from algaebarn and podyourreef. Both great companies to order pods from.

allendehl 04/15/2018 06:35 AM

Thank you all. Some questions. I have a 72G +18G sump. What size of pack should I get? The more the better?
Also should I only get the pods or the phyto combo?
How long should I wait to introduce some pods eating fish?

davocean 04/15/2018 03:38 PM

If you want to keep a mandarn long term in that size tank you really should have some kind of fuge, or expect to take alternative measures to accomidate the mandarins metabolism and need for constant pods/food supply

ramseynb 04/16/2018 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davocean (Post 25415788)
If you want to keep a mandarn long term in that size tank you really should have some kind of fuge, or expect to take alternative measures to accomidate the mandarins metabolism and need for constant pods/food supply

+1

It’s going to be a challenge keeping a Mandy in that size tank. You’ll need a very large fuge and I’d recommend getting a captive bred one that will eat mysis or pellets just to help supplement their diet. Keep in mind, Mandy’s hunt and eat pods pretty much all day so you need a system that can provide
them with a constant source of food. Good luck!

Jesterrace 04/16/2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allendehl (Post 25414957)
Hello folks?

Want to get a mandarin and/or other dragonettes in my tank but want to give the pods a head start. I do not have a fudge.

What source you recommend for pods and how much of a head start should I give them to help them become sustainable?

Thanks!!

FYI the pod population needs about a year of establishment in order to support a SINGLE mandarin. How much rock do you have in your tank? I would say it takes 75lbs minimum with a long established copepod population to support A SINGLE Mandy. Take it from a guy who had one in a 36 gallon with live rock and pods established for a few months. It learned to eat frozen mysis and reef frenzy, I added several hundred dollars worth of pods and it still starved to death.

sde1500 04/16/2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesterrace (Post 25416417)
FYI the pod population needs about a year of establishment in order to support a SINGLE mandarin. How much rock do you have in your tank? I would say it takes 75lbs minimum with a long established copepod population to support A SINGLE Mandy. Take it from a guy who had one in a 36 gallon with live rock and pods established for a few months. It learned to eat frozen mysis and reef frenzy, I added several hundred dollars worth of pods and it still starved to death.

Pods multiply very fast. A year is more a default recommendation, just like 6 months for an anemone, as more of a "learn the tank and get your aquarist skills up to par' more than letting pods multiply. After a few months of stability, the pods will have most likely also reached a stable population, increasing or decreasing with variations in food supply. It is likely your 36 gallon tank would have never been enough to supply the food for the madarin, even if you let it go for a year or two without one.

cincyjim 04/16/2018 12:10 PM

I've used AlgaeBarn as well. I've also bought them from PetCo. They have a small fridge in the reptile department that they keep pods in. They are Tisbe pods and I've been really pleased with them.

allendehl 04/16/2018 12:54 PM

Any idea of what size of combo should I buy in algaebarn..and how to dose them? Should I just throw them all in or they are supposed to go in portions?

sde1500 04/16/2018 01:40 PM

buy as many as you want, and just dump them in. If you want a variety, get the 5280 mix.