Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Idea for tank setup (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2680367)

VictorioManuel 07/16/2018 12:39 PM

Idea for tank setup

So I'm getting a tank in august and my parents want to do saltwater even when I told them about costs and stuff they still wanted to do it. There is a website I found called chewy and it sells some equipment for a cheap price and it's very underrated. So it will most likely still cost 1,000 dollars I think we can do this. My mom is more optimistic than me and says it can be a family project. So I'm making the list of what we need and I'm having fun my dad and I are going to make a custom sump with a dry tickle filter I'm not doing biological filtration in the filter because we have dry rock for that. Im making it with plastic bins and containers also I'm buying a skimmer maybe I can make my own idk.

I'm getting a 64.5 gallon rimless tank or maybe I might make my own with glass panels and aquarium safe silicon. for now I'm going to be doing a Fish only with live rock tank meaning no corals. I'm going to also use live sand and if I can hopefully find a decently priced R.O.D.I unit i will get that if not I will be using drinking water from bottles or just going to absolutely fish and getting some of that water. Also I will be ordering my fish from LiveAquaria.com because I've heard a lot of good things about them. Anyway I will also be getting a wave maker for the tank instead of two power heads. Also I will be trying to find an affordable overflow box if not will have to make my own. I'm getting a cobalt water heater with the temperature dial thing on it. Also I'm getting a hydrometer for salinity and a water thermoter for temperature. I will be doing a fishless cycle and I will be using some nitrifying bacteria in a bottle. After the tank is cycle I will slowly either weekly or biweekly add the fish one by one. I will be getting a UV sterilizer because I heard it can create Algae and I love algae eaters like lawnmower blennies and hermit crabs because they look awesome also if I run out of natural algae I could try algae wafers. I will not be able to quarantine because of space and money. But I will check if they have any visible ich or other fish borne diseases. I will do acclimating though so don't worry. I will be using a water test kit to test the water weekly and daily during the cycle. 30% Water changes weekly to prevent nitrate explosions and stuff. Also I will be getting a clamp on light with moonlight. I will be using red brand sea salt and mixing it until it's at the perfect salinity. If anyone has any questions or tips please tell me. This is going to be great my first saltwater tank and this will be a fun family project. Love you all have a nice day