Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nano Reefs (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Biocube 16 Chamber Setup (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2660464)

BranFlake242005 12/05/2017 11:29 AM

Biocube 16 Chamber Setup

So, my Biocube 16 just came in. I don’t even have water in it yet, but I want to make sure I have my filtration & everything in the back setup right. I've seen a lot on the Biocube 14, but not much on the 16...not sure if this even treally matters. I plan to put in live sand/live rock. Have a few soft corals and 3 fish eventually (I know it’s a process and I’m taking it slow). My tank came with the biocube protein skimmer. So here are my questions:
1. Can I use the Biocube filters that came with it (or should I)?
2. From what I can tell, the center chamber seems like a media basket on its own. I’ve seen a lot about getting an inTank media basket. Is this something I really need to do?
3. If I don’t get the intank media basket, how would you setup the middle chamber?
Finally, any ideas on how you would setup all 3 chambers would be great! Thanks everyone! I’m a newb.

Ejb 12/14/2017 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the 16g as well, 1st chamber I used the skimmer for a little while then took it out. For now I use the stock media and a temp prob in the first chamber.
2nd chamber I have a media reactor with gac.
3rd I have the heater and mj1200 for my rerurn pump.

DesertReefT4r 12/19/2017 11:18 PM

Imo a skimmer on a tank this small is pointless. Water changes will manage wates export. Plus options on skimmers that small are jsut not effective enough. I remember the skimmer released for the biocube and it was a joke. Here is wnat I would do.
1st chamber filer sponge, carbon bag and gfo bag
2nd chamber lit chaeto fuge wirh some LR rubble on the bottom
3rd chamber MJ1200 return pump with Hydor Flo wave maker on the return outlet.
For lighting I would considered uograding the PC lighting to LED either a DIY in the hood or a small Kessiel or a quality clamp on mini LED pendant even a PAR38 would work. The PC lights will work for softies and lps but I have never liked the color. For in tank flow a Nano Korilia on a wave maker would work well.

stephen67 02/03/2018 10:42 AM

Desert: are you talking about the old lighting, compact florescent and led strips or the new design?
My Coralife 32 had the old style lighting and I gutted that. I recently got a 16 for work and it's a totally new design, The LED's are actually very good. I have read quite a few threads where people are running stock with great success.

I have the heater in chamber 1, Inbox media basket in chamber 2 and stock pump in 3. It almost exact to my 32. Skimmers are a waist, I agree just do water changes.