Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Aggressive Starry Blenny (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2189127)

Daa Reef 07/07/2012 09:14 PM

Aggressive Starry Blenny

I've had my Starry Blenny for a little over a week and he has been fine with my Clowns. He does pick on the hermits from time to time but nothing serious. I added a Diamond Watchman today and the Blenny just seems hell bent on harassing him event though it seems he can't catch him. Looks like he is trying to limit the Watchman to certain parts of the tank. Will he calm down, do I need to move someone, any suggestions the Blenny is being a real jerk?

mal7887 07/08/2012 06:01 AM

I have a Starry Blenny and a Watchman goby in my 120. Occasionally the blenny will go near the watchman, but he will instantly retreat to his "fort" he built under the rock for a bit then come back out later. The blenny is hilarious to watch sometimes, he moves about the tank so clumsily.

What size tank do you have them in?

Cloudburst2000 07/08/2012 06:09 AM

Starry blennies are peaceful to most fish, but can be aggressive to fish that have similar body shapes. That is probably where the problem lies. The watchman goby has a fairly similar body shape so it's probably causing territoriality in the blenny. What size tank is this?

Daa Reef 07/08/2012 07:01 AM

I have a 55g tank. Looks lilke the Blenny has gotten it out of his system. Last night he started going about his business as usual. I'll keep an eye on the guys and see if it works out.

rps3 07/08/2012 08:30 AM

Yeah, blennies tend to hate others a like. I've also heard of them being the ones that run the show after a while and will tend to go after the new fish.

daplatapus 07/08/2012 10:15 AM

Mine harassed my Yellow Watchman Goby so bad I had to set up another tank for the YWG. Since then I put in a yellow eye hole tang and he's hell bent on harassing the starry blenny. I guess what goes around comes around.

smaug1 07/08/2012 10:20 AM

my lm blenny was a butt head for awhile til he established himself as kingothetank!

Daa Reef 07/08/2012 08:02 PM

Blenny has calmed down. Guess he wanted to let everybody know who was boss in the tank. It's funny cause the clowns just kindda ignore him until feeding time then they share their food. They are all truly characters

Daa Reef 07/08/2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smaug1 (Post 20441884)
my lm blenny was a butt head for awhile til he established himself as kingothetank!

Your avatar is awsome.....one of the best movies ever. As a tanker coundn't stop laughing no matter how many times I have seen the movie.

aandfsoccr04 07/08/2012 10:36 PM

I have a yellow watchman and a starry blenny in my 120. The starry doesn't bother the goby at all but I did add the watchman goby first so he could set up camp.

smaug1 07/09/2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daa Reef (Post 20443575)
Your avatar is awsome.....one of the best movies ever. As a tanker coundn't stop laughing no matter how many times I have seen the movie.

I have an old tanker helmet a lot like Oddballs that I wear when riding my Triumph! Oddball is my favorite movie character of all time!

TeflonTomDosh 07/10/2012 01:03 AM

my diamond goby is a mess. Wish he'd clean up after himself