Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corallimorpharians (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Slicing mushrooms in half (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2669088)

Liverockmia 02/26/2018 04:38 PM

Slicing mushrooms in half

Just realized I posted in the wrong section earlier. Can I slice a mushroom in half while it’s still attached to its original rock? Or will the two halves fuse back together? Thanks

eastlake 02/27/2018 07:58 AM

If you slice it should turn into two mushrooms just be sure to give it a quick dip after cutting to help prevent infection.

shrimpman_oz 03/08/2018 03:33 PM

Remember that a mushroom will reproduce by itself. Mushrooms walk around buy very slowly and as they do a small section of the foot will tears off and make new mushrooms. My mushrooms do that quite regularly. Some more than others.

j.falk 03/11/2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrimpman_oz (Post 25384322)
Remember that a mushroom will reproduce by itself. Mushrooms walk around buy very slowly and as they do a small section of the foot will tears off and make new mushrooms. My mushrooms do that quite regularly. Some more than others.

^ This. A colony of mushrooms that I bought less than 6 months ago has already doubled their population.

ReefkeeperZ 03/19/2018 05:57 AM

it might turn into two or it might fuse back together.

years ago I did an experiment where I put several coralimorphs into a blender and dumped the resulting sludge into a tank. needless to say within about 6 months the tank was extremely over-run with mushrooms. (this tank was dedicated for this purpose) it was pretty cool.

nereefpat 03/19/2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReefkeeperZ (Post 25393442)
years ago I did an experiment where I put several coralimorphs into a blender and dumped the resulting sludge into a tank. needless to say within about 6 months the tank was extremely over-run with mushrooms. (this tank was dedicated for this purpose) it was pretty cool.

Hilarious.

I wonder if anyone would be brave enough to do this to a jawbreaker?

Apercula 03/19/2018 08:11 PM

I cut a very large Amplexidiscus in half, both halves survived. When I initially pulled the parent from my tank it left behind a half dozen or so small spots on the rockwork, and most of them survived.

Reefpuck 03/21/2018 09:05 PM

I've cut them before...but I feel like they can pop off little babies just as quick as waiting for them to heal enough to be cut again.

But to answer your question, I've never seen them fuse back together. If you can get them to reattach to one another...then start fusing different colored mushrooms together and become a millionaire!

ReefkeeperZ 03/25/2018 05:28 AM

with coralimorph, it's been proven time and again, pretty much any amount of flesh can recover and create another coralimorph under proper conditions. recovery time is greatly increased when a piece of the mouth is attached to the segment in question.

j.falk 03/27/2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefpuck (Post 25396220)
If you can get them to reattach to one another...then start fusing different colored mushrooms together and become a millionaire!

Frankenshrooms! :lmao:

Redseadragon12 03/30/2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Ive done this and six months later had zero new mushrooms. What i found out is that all the scavengers actually love those little pieces of mushrooms and they ate them all especially the spaghetti worms.

Redseadragon12 03/30/2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverockmia (Post 25375178)
Just realized I posted in the wrong section earlier. Can I slice a mushroom in half while it’s still attached to its original rock? Or will the two halves fuse back together? Thanks

In my experience they usually just fuse back together unless you get every piece of tissue separated which is really hard without removing one half.

Fylerb 04/13/2018 12:32 PM

They will typically fuse back if they are still touching. Can try and get thin plastic to keep seperate for a week til starting to heal

Shia 04/19/2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

I want to believe this is true. Can you elaborate which type you did this with? Have any pics?

ReefkeeperZ 04/25/2018 04:42 PM

common red discosoma, common green "watermelon" striped discosoma, and a green pebble front. let em see about pictures they were all on photobucket so not sure if I can find them.

ReefkeeperZ 04/25/2018 04:48 PM

I literally cant even acess the photobucket acount they are on. I tried all I can see is bucket photos from that acount from years ago. it kills me thousands of pictures lost

norfolkgarden 04/25/2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReefkeeperZ (Post 25423773)
I literally cant even acess the photobucket acount they are on. I tried all I can see is bucket photos from that acount from years ago. it kills me thousands of pictures lost

We are now using Google photos. A few dollars a month for 100Gb. Set up auto pay with credit card.
Hoping it will still be there years from now.
If I remember to update the card when the current card expires.
[emoji849]
Google calendar works for that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk