Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Seahorses & Pipefish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   dragonface versus blue stripe (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2676251)

kizanne 05/15/2018 07:45 PM

dragonface versus blue stripe

I know blue stripes will fight each other but will they tolerate dragonface pipefish?

I have a trio of dragonface pipefish already but my fish store has the cutest couple of blue stripes (waiting to see if they are a pair) he says their vents look different and they seem to be swimming side by side for now.

Rispa 06/08/2018 10:48 PM

Did you test this out? I'm interested in doing a tank with many types of pipefish. By the way do you have a breeding log for your Dragonface Pipefish?

kizanne 06/09/2018 08:58 AM

Well in my 70 gallon I have 3 dragonface and 1 blue stripe. They get along fine. But most things get more aggressive with breeding. My dragonface aren't breeding but it is the blues I was worried about. I'm hoping my LFS has a boy today. I got a boy but it didn't make it through quarantine even though it was eating.

All my pipes eat frozen mysid and live brine so they don't have to fight over food or worry about Copepods/amphipods. You could never stock this heavy if they weren't on frozen. This tank also has a mandarin.

I can't wait until I need a dragonface breeding log!

kizanne 12/20/2018 07:08 AM

Thought I'd follow this up. I now have a pair of mating blue stripes in with about 5 dragonface pipefish with no problems.

These are also in with Erectus with no problems. Both the erectus and the blue pipe are breeding. I"m waiting and hoping for the dragonface to join the breeding ranks.

cdhappy 04/05/2019 06:47 PM

Congrats on the blue-stripe pair! Any picts of the babies?

kizanne 04/08/2019 09:26 AM

Been having trouble catching the babies. I'm also in high mode with work right now so my copepods aren't where they need to be to raise babies.

But the male gets visible eggs that grow and then disappear every week.

Last week I caught them transferring eggs but didn't get pictures.

I am also just trying to keep up with the new seahorses. I didn't have any for a while but they spit some out Saturday.

1claire 04/12/2019 12:28 AM

Congratulations on the new additions in your tank.

GinoV84 06/10/2020 11:31 AM

What’s a reef safe Pipefish? Moderate flow

teddscau 06/11/2020 04:20 PM

Necropost, but I'll bite. Try blue striped pipefish or dragonface pipefish. They need a ton of live food, so it's best if you have a large tank (+150g) so they can forage for copepods between meals. They can't be housed with stinging corals, anemones, agressive fish, or fast moving fish. Either avoid pipefish altogether, or buy mandarinfish from ORA, since those guys will at least accept frozen food and pellets as the main part of their diet.

ThRoewer 06/23/2020 01:53 AM

Bluestripes handle very high flow. I had some who went hunting in high flow areas where the flow was too high for my Regal Angels.