Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Peppermint Hogfish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2667496)

ca1ore 02/11/2018 10:15 PM

Peppermint Hogfish

Thoughts on this fish in a mixed reef? There are only a few, short threads on this fish here. Maybe not commonly kept?

illumnae 02/12/2018 05:08 AM

Bodianus opercularis, Bodianus neopercularis or Bodianus "masudai" (most of what is sold as Bodianus masudai these days is not the real deal)?

Anecdotal experience is that all 3 are extremely aggressive to tankmates from the wrasse family.

I've kept the similarly shaped and marked Bodianus sanguineus and Bodianus bennetti before and both are model citizens in the tank (except towards some inverts).

albano 02/12/2018 07:59 AM

Had to re-home mine...got too aggressive

ca1ore 02/12/2018 08:43 AM

OK, that probably eliminates a hogfish since I have lots of wrasses. Thanks chaps.

scooter31707 02/12/2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albano (Post 25360036)
Had to re-home mine...got too aggressive

IME, aggression was only shown towards wrasses, dottybacks, and other fish that had a similar shape and size. I saw mines a few time pecking at snails and at the few crabs I have.

albano 02/12/2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter31707 (Post 25360319)
IME, aggression was only shown towards wrasses, dottybacks, and other fish that had a similar shape and size. I saw mines a few time pecking at snails and at the few crabs I have.

Yes, and I had about 40 wrasses in my 450g tank.

pfan151 02/13/2018 08:53 PM

Maybe try a Terelabrus rubrovittatus. Nice fish and mine was always peaceful.

McPuff 02/14/2018 09:22 AM

Try a swissguard basslet instead?

HBtank 02/14/2018 01:09 PM

Mine has been a model tankmate, and a very cool and curious/intelligent fish; love everything about it and has easily become one of my favorites.

No wrasse yet though (and I keep no shrimp, no doubt he would eat small ones), but had hoped to add one. Did people see aggression with fairy wrasse? Since they are not active substrate hunters like most wrasse (and the hog most certainly is), hoping they will get along?

scooter31707 02/14/2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBtank (Post 25362715)
Mine has been a model tankmate, and a very cool and curious/intelligent fish; love everything about it and has easily become one of my favorites.

No wrasse yet though (and I keep no shrimp, no doubt he would eat small ones), but had hoped to add one. Did people see aggression with fairy wrasse? Since they are not active substrate hunters like most wrasse (and the hog most certainly is), hoping they will get along?

in my case, all wrasses.

Dean Ladd 02/15/2018 06:38 PM

OP, I know you have already determined a Hogfish is not for you but I think any additional info will help others that come across this thread. I have a (Bodianus sepiacaudus). This is suppose to be the least aggressive one. Note Hogfish are wrasses. Mine is in a 135 with a Purple Tang, Coral Beauty, Small Niger Trigger, Blood Red Hawkfish and a common Percula Clown Fish hosted by a RBTA. All of these fish are pretty pushy. The tang is the King and it jesters are the Angel and Niger. The clown protects it RBTA with authority. The hawkfish is a loner with an attitude. I was actually concerned about adding the Hogfish since it is not an inexpensive fish. After a day of posturing from the tank mates the Hogfish settled in with the crew and can hold it own against anyone of the other fish. It is never out looking for a fight but if one of the other fish tries to push it around it will not run and hide. It likes doing it own thing. This fish loves to swim. It is always out and about searching for a meal from one end of the tank to the other. I have a new 72x30x24 glass tank ordered because my 135 feels a bit crowded and I would like to add a fairy or a Flasher wrasse to the system. I'll see how that works out when the day comes.