Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Invertebrates (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=427)
-   -   Inverts dying, why? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670687)

Mryin 03/14/2018 08:59 AM

Inverts dying, why?

Hey RC members! I’m new to salt and my tank has been up for almost a year. Recently added some turbo snails, emerald crab, scarlet hermits, and a scarlet cleaner shrimp to my EXISTING clean up crew. Existing CUC is snails and hermits from reefcleaners. After about 2 weeks of adding them I’ve lost all 5 turbos, 4 newly added hermits, and my shrimp. Hermits were out of there shells dead. Shrimp was just dead, no bite marks or injury, and all 5turbos were just dead as well, still inside there shells. What could be causing this? Ammonia and nitrate readings are 0s. Water temp is 78. Running a skimmer and power heads, and HOB for Seagel and a seeding sponge. The shrimp died the day after adding Seagel in my HOB but was eating well. I fed it Prime Reef Flakes during tank feedings. The other inverts died before adding Seagel. All fish are doing well. I don’t know if it’s the Emerald killing them off at night but none have had any visible injuries except the hermits outta there shells.

I’m clueless:confused:

alcimedes 03/14/2018 09:45 AM

No blobs of snot near the dead inverts?

Mryin 03/14/2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcimedes (Post 25389476)
No blobs of snot near the dead inverts?

Not that I saw. What the heck would that be?

alcimedes 03/15/2018 01:36 PM

There's a type of worm, oeneda fulgida (sp?) that only eats inverts. They only come out at night, and they retract at the slightest amount of light or vibration, so are often very hard to see.

The one clue they routinely leave behind though is a tell tale blob of mucus surrounding the dead invert. (which is how they suffocate/paralyze their prey)

If you start losing inverts for no obvious reason and see globs of what looks like snot near the empty shells, that's your likely culprit.

Mryin 03/15/2018 02:04 PM

Hmmm. That’s something I will defiantly look for next time but no snot blobs here.

Monkeyfish 03/29/2018 09:42 AM

Were all inverts bought from the same place/time? Shipped or LFS? Might have been a "bad batch." How did you acclimate them to the tank?

Djbeasley05 03/29/2018 10:21 AM

My turbos started dying starting with the largest one. Took me a while to realize there wasn’t enough of a food source until I put seaweed in for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mryin 03/29/2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeyfish (Post 25402803)
Were all inverts bought from the same place/time? Shipped or LFS? Might have been a "bad batch." How did you acclimate them to the tank?

They were were LA.

Mryin 03/29/2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djbeasley05 (Post 25402839)
My turbos started dying starting with the largest one. Took me a while to realize there wasn’t enough of a food source until I put seaweed in for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly was I was thinking but there is plenty of hair algae to eat. Oh how I hate hair algae :headwally:

Vmazz 04/04/2018 12:42 AM

What’s the specific gravity in the tank?.

Maggie321 05/02/2018 02:36 PM

What's your magnesium read? I hear high mag will kill inverts. I had a few die and through research and conversation found that out...and I tested. Mine was between 1650 and 1800. I never dose it, just that batch of salt had high mag. Good luck. Let us know.

Maggie

mndfreeze 05/02/2018 09:14 PM

I suspect something in the water. Time to do a big water change IMO and bring your water in to a local LFS for an extensive test if you don't have a good testing kit at home.

Also when you added in the inverts, did you drip acclimate them? Did you make sure the salt gravity was the same? Snails are actually pretty sensitive to water changes like most inverts are. Most people don't drip or float them but they also end up getting a lot of die off and it doesn't happen right away. Sometimes it takes a week.